Decent planar magnetic upgrade from HD600?
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 19

Not sure I understand - not sure I understand the purpose for sales either. However I bought my HE-400i with the new connectors during one of the sales.

Ah, I see. Thought the sales were for Hifiman to get rid of the old stock with the old SMC connectors. While I was in search of the He-400i, I much preferred the new 2.5mm connectors for the flexibility and convenience of them. However, since i  use the headphones mostly at home, the screw connectors don't seem too bad after all.
  400i will truly run off anything - normal use, I'm connected to a Asgard 2, bought for $180 used. It is a balanced headphone, that scales quite high!

I have myself an Asgard 2 as well. 400i is very efficient so I agree with you, it's quite easy to drive.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 19
(less likely to happen though because it seems those sales events were to get rid of those 400i with the smc connectors and replace with the new 2.5mm connectors) and had to spring for a used pair.

1) I agree it's unlikely the HE400i will see $299 again any time soon, if it all.
2) No, as far as I know, nobody who got the HE400i got the old connectors *and* HiFiMan exchanged the connectors to the new version for anybody who requested *and* they ran the sale again at new years, despite all the old SMC connectors being long gone by then.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 19
The JDS Labs Element is an awesome choice for the HE-400i.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

It is $350 new and you might be able to find one for less used. It is a DC powered unit that connect via USB to a PC or RCA to anything else. The DAC has RCA outs too so you can use it as a standalone DAC if you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back