Decent pair of headphones/headset recommendations ($500 budget)
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sicbud

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post - so, hi!

Current soundcard:  ASUS Xonar Essence ST (has built-in amp)
Budget: $400-500

I've been using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S for a few years and have really enjoyed them.  Last night, I got up and tripped over the headphone wire.  Long story short, the headphones no longer work so I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones or a headset and looking for recommendations.

First of all, are there any decent headsets out there,  or do you basically have to buy a nice pair of headphones, and a separate pair of headset?  I already tried using a clip-on mic with my ATH-M50S, but didn't really enjoy that experience.

If there are really no decent headsets out there, then I don't mind purchasing a really good pair of headphones and then a pair of headsets separately.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good pair of headphones and headsets within my budget?  

I realize everyone sees this question pop up multiple times a day, so I really appreciate you taking the time and giving me recommendations.  I've been trying to make this decision myself, but there are so many different options and I really want to get the best I can for the amount of money I spend.

Thanks again!

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 4
That's serious money. I think alot of the best headphones falls within your budget. Thats the good news.

Bad news is......you need to find out what you want. In sound. open or close, Portability, usage and In gimmicks build in, look etc etc.
Consider your M50. What did you like with it. What dont you like. Than you can look further.

Anyway check the homepage of headfi. Jude has like a list of the recommended overears headphones. Gives a short description. And see what you like and want. Also some tutorials are stickied.

Good luck and have fun.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 4
  Current soundcard:  ASUS Xonar Essence ST (has built-in amp)
Budget: $400-500
I've been using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S for a few years and have really enjoyed them.  Last night, I got up and tripped over the headphone wire.  Long story short, the headphones no longer work so I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones or a headset and looking for recommendations.
First of all, are there any decent headsets out there,  or do you basically have to buy a nice pair of headphones, and a separate pair of headset?  I already tried using a clip-on mic with my ATH-M50S, but didn't really enjoy that experience.
If there are really no decent headsets out there, then I don't mind purchasing a really good pair of headphones and then a pair of headsets separately.
Do any of you have any recommendations for a good pair of headphones and headsets within my budget?  
I realize everyone sees this question pop up multiple times a day, so I really appreciate you taking the time and giving me recommendations.  I've been trying to make this decision myself, but there are so many different options and I really want to get the best I can for the amount of money I spend.

if you ok with open headphones, Beyerdynamic DT880s are going for a good price right now.
On Amazon, new DT880 Pro 250-Ohm are $200 and used DT880 Premium 600-Ohm used are selling for $190.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 4
since you already have an amp/dac...

if you are considering open headphones, I would highly recommend the HE-400 which can be purchased for $400. The HE-400 outperforms or is comparable to all headphones in its price bracket. Just a question of whether you like it's sound signature. Other long time favorites in that max performance for $400ish bracket are the Sennheiser HD 600/650. If you are patient, you can find a lot of great headphones on sale.

if you want to save money, you can jump down to $200 for great headphones like DT880 mentioned above. the rest of the market is filled w/ closed, portable, mid-fi headphones that go for $200-400. You can get better sound quality for your money if you are willing to forgo the closed/portable aspect.

yea, you have to ask yourself 1) open vs closed. 2) portable vs home-use. 3) sound sig (v-shaped, bassy, neutral, etc...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back