Decent over-ear headphones for flying - < $300
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ggilman

New Head-Fier
Looking for some decent over-ear headphones for flying. Mostly listening to stuff like Pink Floyd, Metallica, Dire Straits, etc. Just listening on my iPhone. Open to portable amp suggestions as well. I would like to keep it under $300, but it's negotiable.

thanks,
gg

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 8
For that money, the WH-1000XM3's are the king.

Absolutely fantastic ANC, and is stunning with drowning out low noises like ventilation and 'flying' noises. I think you'll definitely like them.

thanks for the recommendation! Are they comfortable over a few hours? I like that they have a cabled option as well.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Bose’s are more comfortable, but you will need to save a little more.

I don’t mind spending a little bit more if it’s worth it. I’d almost rather buy some non-noise canceling closed Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics for that much though. Think they’d be useless on a flight? Maybe add a portable headphone amp? Thx!

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I found the Bose 700 not as good in drowning out low noises, and also louder when used in ANC mode without any music.

The Bose is a lot more neutral sounding, but also sounds tighter over the whole range. It also had quite a few consistancy problems. I personally prefer neutral/mid-heavy sound instead of the bass-heavy Sony, but still went with the Sony because it is better across the whole range. With your music taste, it won't really be a problem.

The Sony also has an equalizer in the app, which the Bose doesn't.

As for comfort: I'm using my headphones 14 hours a day on average and I have quite big ears, and I have zero issues with them. I also didn't have any problems with the Bose.

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
The Momentum Wireless 3 are quite comfortable and have decent ANC as well. Haven't tried the Sony or Bose but compared them against B&W, Denon and Dali. The Sennheiser won when it came to sound and comfort.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Looking for some decent over-ear headphones for flying. Mostly listening to stuff like Pink Floyd, Metallica, Dire Straits, etc. Just listening on my iPhone. Open to portable amp suggestions as well. I would like to keep it under $300, but it's negotiable.
thanks, gg
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones or something with a little more bass, ATH-WS99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back