Decent IEM under $50
Dec 12, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobxxxbob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you guys consider to be the best IEM's for under 50usd?

I will have to say Sennheiser CX300's, had a couple of these pairs, you won't miss a beat.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 17
I can't recommend "the best", as everyone will have a different oppinion on what is "best". I can recommend some models that are decent for the price, like SoundMAGIC PL30, JVC Air Cushion (probably my favourites in comfort vs. sound quality), JVC HA-FXC50 (best sound quality of these sub-50$ models I'm recommending, but not as comfortable to me as the Air Cushions), and even SoundMAGIC PL21 is decent given the low price. These ones I've tested and I can recommend first hand.

Meelec looks promising, too, for sub 50$ IEMs, the reviews are positive and they look well built, so they may be an option. I haven't tested them, but I plan to do. All models are cheap, with the M6 and M11 being the most expensive ones (about 39$). The M9 are 17$. Plus shipping, but it is more or less cheap too.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 17
I thought the answer to this question was RE2?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Haven't tried them, but considering.

Head-Direct RE2 inner earphone in Review – Almost perfect at 39$ | TouchMyApps

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 17
RE2 RE2 RE2 a million times, RE2. They're $29 now, they were $80 a year ago when I bought them and they were well worth it. However, if you can bear to save up another $30, get the RE0. I feel like they are really a top-class IEM. I haven't heard any super-high-end universals, but the RE0 performs like a $200 IEM (which it originally was
smily_headphones1.gif
and still would have been a deal then).

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Im-590

you might have to hunt around a bit to find it under 50 USD, but they over around that price range, and I think I've seen them for about 40 USD from a 3rd party Amazon seller

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 17
iM-590 are phenomenal, and I paid less than $50.

EDIT: But enjoy your RE2, which apparently sound great too.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 17
Got those cx300s today and I must admit that they are terrible. Good I didn't order them for myself. All the instruments sound plastic and bass is terribly bloated and muddy. Isolation is good though. Really can't recommend these for anybody.
These really lowered my expectations for RE2. I was hoping for something at least Porta Pro quality, but guess going for budget IEM can't really get you there.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLOX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Altec lansing UHP336

I loved mine until I got my RE0s. Honestly, I wish I would've just bought JVC Marshmallows instead and Kramer modded them. The Marshmallows have a more palatable sound sig (IMO, of course), fit better, have a better cord, and don't hiss so freakin' much.

Quote:

I was hoping for something at least Porta Pro quality, but guess going for budget IEM can't really get you there.

Although I haven't heard many different IEMs (or the Portapros; but I do have some KSC75's), you're better off to just save up and go for one fairly expensive set of IEMs. RE0s are pretty expensive for me, but I don't regret buying them at all. Just do what Dave Chapelle did on Half Baked, and take your girlfriend on a walk for a date... That's one way to save up. If you think about it, you can work your way up the ladder and continually want something better, or you can just skip right up to the top and spend less money overall (but more at one time).

If you've got $15 or so lying around, give the JVC Marshmallows a shot and Kramer mod them. They're really bassy (doesn't sound extremely muddy to me, but it's too much bass, and doesn't seem as fast/accurate as my RE0s), but the Kramer mod and some break-in helps. They're my beater set, but they're still a pretty good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back