Decent entry to midrange over ears with velour ear pads.
Sep 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mazda3racer

New Head-Fier
Well I have discovered that I am allergic to the pleather that they use on 99% of all over ears that I can find. So I am looking for options of a decent pair of over ears with velour pads or something I can put velour pads on. I have looked at a few threads for this but they are all recommendations for cans that are way out of my budget right now. I would like to spend  around $100 but I think i may be pricing my self right out of the market with that low of a price. I have a pair of QC 15's (I know, I know, boo Bose) that my wife bought me but I cant find any velour pads for them so they just sit in my desk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 10
What source device (make/model) will you be hooking your headphone up to?

Are these for portable use? Home use? Do you need isolation? Or could you go with open headphones?

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 10

Are these for portable use? Home use? Do you need isolation? Or could you go with open headphones?

He took the words right outta my mouth 

Also I love your profile pic @cel4145 !!

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks! If you like that, be sure to check out my signature line underneath my posts. That's a real quote from an Amazon reviewer
smily_headphones1.gif

LMFBO awesome lol

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Ultrasone makes a variety of closed headphones with fabric pads - I've only heard the PRO900, but there is a less expensive model, the PRO750, that you may look at. No idea how they differ from the 900 sonically, but they don't use pleather. The Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 uses real leather, and is in a similar price range to the Bose QC15. Koss PRO4/AA use foam for the headband and vinyl Pnuemalite pads. I don't know if real leather or vinyl are a problem or not, hence those suggestions. If you can go open-back, Grado uses foam pads and either vinyl or leather straps for the headband; Sennheiser uses fabric for earpads and some headbands, but pleather on others. Some of the open-back ATs use fabric for the pads and foam on the headband, but I've heard none of those. Just trying to think of stuff that doesn't have pleather.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 10

I will be using them for a bit of everything, PC, LG G3 phone, various tablets, Denon 2112ci receiver. Pretty much anything I can plug them in to. I am also starting to get in to vinyl and was just given a 1970's Micro Seki dd-24 and plan on getting the rest of the equipment for it down the road.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't know what has velour pads in your budget range, but I know that you can replace the pads on some models.

Here are some cloth replacement pads that fit the Sony MDR-V6 and 7506: http://www.amazon.com/Velour-Earcushions-Technica-Mdr7506-Headphones/dp/B0081SO0RM/. So those two headphones would fit your budget. Not too difficult to drive, so would do pretty well on even portable devices.

Here are Brainwavz HM5 velour pads: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO/. Those would fit the NVX XPT100, which can sometimes be found for around $80 to $90. The XPT100 have the same cups and drivers as the Brainwavz HM5 (different headband), so you could look for reviews of both.

Here are some velour pads on Ebay that fit the ATH-M40X:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-M40-ATH-M50-ATH-DJ-Headphones-/261505754231
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 10
Sennheiser HD 419 are under $100 and have velour ear pads as well as a velour headband cushion. They are closed back and have an ultra thin cheap cable.

Philips SHP9500 cushioning isn't pleather nor velour it's some kind of cloth material though. Ear pads are not replaceable and they are open back.

What are the dimensions of the QC 15 ear pads? I bet you could find a velour ear pad that will fit if you search for velour pads with dimensions that will work. There are probably even circular ones that would work. They just conform to the oval shape.

Aliexpress.com has a huge selection of ear pads too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back