Decent-Enough-Quality linear 12V PSU for DAC?
Sep 8, 2015 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Scorpius

New Head-Fier
I own dSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 dualcore room corrector which has awesome quality DAC. However, its stock switching psu is very bad quality. I have heard that changing PSU to battery/linear psu will improve sound. Well, I did some tests and battery indeed improved sound (clarity). Then again it could be placebo so I must confirm it with blind tests.

I'm looking for good-quality-with-decent-price 12V ultra low noise linear PSU, any recommendations? It can also be DIY. Price limit could be, say 100$

There is one in ebay, but have no idea about its quality. It claims to have "2pcs Origianl Toshiba 2SC5200" . Idea about its quality?

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Doesn't CI Audio make a 12v upgrade PSU? I know they have a variety of aftermarket PSUs for different stuff, but don't remember if one of them is 12V. I think Rolls also has an upgrade 12V PSU for some of their components that's supposed to be pretty decent. You could also go for a high end industrial regulated SMPS ("but we have to avoid switching" -> there are good and bad switching PSUs; the cheap ones that come with a lot of devices can be pretty awful, but higher end ones can be great) that will have very clean output (and lots of it) - look at Mouser or some similar dealer to get an idea of price. It won't be a pretty looking unit though (very seriously just a metal box with wires going in and coming out). I'd be a little leery of the ebay one because you have no idea if it's coming with real or fake parts, etc being a Chinese non-name component. I'm not saying it *will* be bad, just that it's a big unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back