Decent computer soundcard and speakers combo for under $200 total?
Jun 19, 2004 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vorlik

Head-Fier
Currently I have a SoundBlaster or something (came on my Dell DImension 2300) and some speakers I don't remember where I got, but say "CA" on them. Also, which is more important for good sound: the speakers or the soundcard?

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Get the Chaintech AV-710 everyone loves. It's $23.50 at newegg, and offers the best audio you'll get short of spending ~$100. As for the importance of components, both matter. Crappy speakers on a great soundcard will sound terrible, as will great speakers on a crappy soundcard. The Chaintech AV-710 will wring every bit of potential out of anything in your price range, however. With your budget, it's important to concentrate on the speakers.

Have you considered going with headphones instead of speakers? For about $175, you can get much better quality all around from headphones. I'd suggest looking to see if you can find a deal on the Sennheiser HD-595 headphones, if not, get the HD-590s.

If you're determined to stay with speakers, someone else can probably provide better recommendations on models than I can.

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm thinking of going with the Chaintech you mentioned. But how good can it really be for 23 bucks? Anyway, I think I'll also go with the Klipsh Promedia 2.1. Anyone know if this'll be any good?

Jun 19, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 8
It's a truly excellent soundcard when using the hi-resolution stereo channel. The other channels are only good quality, but the hi-res stereo channel is easily as great as cards costing over $100. It's really not worth getting a better card unless you have money to burn and demand the best.

Klipsch speakers are generally pretty good, but I would seriously consider headphones in your situation.

Jun 19, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't like having things on my head when I'm just sitting down, and I don't like having to turn my computer volume down so low to accomadate headphones. Besides, I already have Grado SR60s.

Jun 19, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
newegg is supposed to have swan m200s back in stock in early july....

Late July actually. Anyone know if the Swans T-120 w/ Subwoofer sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back