decent comfortable cans for movies and metal
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MRSHUTHEHELLUP

New Head-Fier
got a new entertainment laptop... looking for a headphone good for movies and jamming to metal. my budget is around $250. not looking to get an amp right now, sooo i need a can thats pretty effiecient.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 7
From what i've been able to find / personal experience Grados are great for rock / metal. The problem is as you get better headphones you start to notice flaws with the recordings, because these tracks are often remastered with only loudness in mind. Quality therefore suffers and...you can tell. Grados are also easy to drive, so maybe the SR225? I don't know about movies though.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i've been able to find / personal experience Grados are great for rock / metal. The problem is as you get better headphones you start to notice flaws with the recordings, because these tracks are often remastered with only loudness in mind. Quality therefore suffers and...you can tell. Grados are also easy to drive, so maybe the SR225? I don't know about movies though.

i like grado's but there not very comfortable and you cant move your head at all. i want a can that covers my ears, real fluffy, and have a lively sound.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldring DR150 might be just for you from what I have read about those.

goldring? never heard of this company. i wonder how they would compare to the dd770's?

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd say DT770 for metal / rock / movies. Love mine to death
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRSHUTHEHELLUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
goldring? never heard of this company. i wonder how they would compare to the dd770's?

They are rarily talked about about here, because their problem is their rather limited availability (you can find them in some online shops around EU, even here at Finland, but I dont know if anyone carries them in USA). But everyone who has listened one or bought one has said they are very good. IIRC it is said that they do have sound that is somewhere between Grado and Koss, but cant say anything final as I have never heard them myself. Just saying that they might be headphones that might be worth checking out (reviews and such), and perhaps buy if you can find them.

Personally I dont like DT770 (ownt DT770 Pro 80ohm version) for majority of metal. They do have strong bass but bit too prominent for my tastes, makes doom/funeral doom metal very good and heavy sounding though. However, their midrange is bit recessed, not that good for guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back