Decent cans for a skinflint?
Mar 15, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
I quite fancy getting some "proper" big headphones but I don't really know the first thing. I'd be using them mostly to listen to music (mostly rock pop and dance) and playing games off my computer, and listening on my iHP-120 mp3 player, but I don't neccesarily just want "fun", bass-exaggerated things. I'd be more inclined to listen to my classical and ambient music if I was using more "enveloping" phones.
I've been using my Shure E2s up till now and they're ok for portable but obviously I'd rather have something with a bit more "meat" to it. I'm looking to spend about £40-65 (roughly $70-120), or less if possible.

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 2
One cheap way to supplement your E2s would be to get the Koss KSC-35s. They have a very balanced sound, and great bass thump for such a small package. I find that they are quite comfortable for portable use, and match my Karma well. They can be had from koss.com for around $30.

Moving up the price scale, I'd also recommend something in the the Grado line. I'm not sure of the prices in the UK, but you might be able to get the 125s in your budget. I have the 225's and really love them. Others will recommend something in the Sennheiser family, so it will come down to the sound that you prefer.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back