Decent Audio Setup MBP 13?
Apr 24, 2011 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SoloHead

New Head-Fier
[size=small]Newbie here, looking for some advice on a decent audio setup for my 2011 Macbook Pro 13.[/size]

[size=small]This setup will be used primarly for music (many genres but mostly rock, via iTunes w/Apple Lossless). I'd like enough volume for my small office room to sound full. I do like decent enough bass to at least hear some of the bass guitar lines. Nothing ground shaking or anything. For example, I tried the Audioengine 2's and sent them back because they sounded too small.[/size]

[size=small]I was thinking of the Swan D1080MkII08 or M10's but the sub won't fit on my tiny desk, lol. Do you guys think the sub will sound ok on the floor? Or do you have any other suggestions for a 2.1 setup that can have the sub on the floor? Kinda afraid of 2.0 setups, but if the bass is good enough as described above, then sure. Budget is flexible, just need something good enough price dosen't really matter.[/size]

[size=small]The MBP has optical out, could I use that for something? Should I get a DAC? Just wondering if a DAC would make much difference. Found this comment regarding the uDAC-2: "[size=small]I found it to have a marginal improvement if any over the output of my newest Mac[/size]".[/size]

[size=small]Or maybe more simply put, what setup would you get if you had a MBP 13 and needed something for good music in a small office room?[/size]

[size=small]Thanks!
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I have ruled out the M10's and think I'll go with either the D1080MkII 08 or D1010MKII 08. I'll probably skip the DAC based on comments from people saying there isn't much difference with low end speakers and MacBook Pro.

Do you guys think I'm heading in the right direction? Any suggestions?

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 6
A DAC will make a pretty big difference in my experience. It made a noticeable improvement in the sound coming out of both of my MacBook Pros and the Mac Pro I had at my last job.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 6
I have an iMac and am looking at getting a Nuforce Icon 2 DAC/AMP. From what I hear it'll power both my headphones and speakers easily. Bonus points for being fully Mac-compatible, which we all know isn't always the case.

If you're also asking about speakers, what's your budget?

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 6
I was thinking more along the lines of the NuForce uDAC-2 since that's more in my budget for a DAC. For speakers I was thinking of going kinda cheap, like under $200. Don't need anything awesome at this point. Just decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back