decent alternatives to the new 160gb ipod classic
Sep 11, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 20
I definitely agree with you on that. I owned a 2g touch for a while and the headphone out sounded great. At that time I was using it with a Shure SE530. I sold the touch because I didn't have much use for any of its extra features other than music, and I preferred the small physical size of the nano. Gotta say the touch and iPhone are truly stunning devices though.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 20
hate to break it, but i really can't find any alternatives other than maybe a 2nd hand ipod classic
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #18 of 20
Yeah...for me as well the options seem to be:

- Used 5G or 5.5G iPod video
- Used 6G iPod classic 80gb or 120gb
- New iPod classic 160gb

I'm not too keen to buy a new classic because I just don't want to pay so much for a model that is essentially so old and on the verge of becoming obsolete.

However, I want to know which of these has the better headphone out.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 20
Don't think any have a well regarded headphone out at stock. They reckon the radio remote helps though.

From the 4g classic onwards I thought they sounded ok just nothing special and I preferred other players for sq through the headphone out. I had the older 160gb classic for a while and I eventually sold it. While I still love the capacity the sq just isn't up there with the 2g iPod touch or the high Sonys. I don't have experience of other players.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 20
I may be wrong on this but I am sure that I have read that an unmodded 6th gen sounds better than an unmodded 5th gen.
Line out trounces headphone out on the 6th gen Classic IME.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back