Debating between a Gaming Monitor or Astro Mixamp
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

p321p

New Head-Fier
I'm currently playing the ps4 on 720p 32in LCD tv. Using the Skullcandy Slyr as my headset but I'm not using its mixer (not a big fan on how you adjust the game and voice volume). I'm just using the Slyr connected straight to the controller through the 3.5 jack. I'm planning to get 24in monitor with a low response time or a Astro Mixamp and use it with the Slyr. I only have money for one of these, I'm leaning on the monitor side though. Anyone has some input or suggestions?

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 7
A 1080p monitor that's smaller than your current 720p will look significantly better, as the pixel density will be SIGNIFICANTLY better.  Your PS4 will look amazing.

What kind of games do you play?  If you're competitive, the advantage the Mixamp will give you should be pretty awesome.  If you're more of a single-player game type, it will give you more immersion but won't be anything world-changing.

I'd say you should go for the monitor first.  It'll probably be the more noticeable upgrade for you, unless you're a competitive gamer (CoF, BF4, etc).

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah I'm more of a competitive gamer. The Mixamp will help me during in-game but the Monitor should be more useful. Having a 1080p screen will definitely be a nice eyetreat whether for gaming or just entertainment uses, plus a small response time will really be useful since I play COD almost exclusively. But the Monitor cost more than the Mixamp, and I've always been a cheap person so it's going to a bit hard to digest haha. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 7
  Yeah I'm more of a competitive gamer. The Mixamp will help me during in-game but the Monitor should be more useful. Having a 1080p screen will definitely be a nice eyetreat whether for gaming or just entertainment uses, plus a small response time will really be useful since I play COD almost exclusively. But the Monitor cost more than the Mixamp, and I've always been a cheap person so it's going to a bit hard to digest haha. 

1080p will also help your gaming as more pixels means it's easier to aim.  

Then again, good positional audio is almost like cheating.  
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 7
A friend of mine has both a AOC 144hz 1ms gaming monitor and the Astro A40 Mix amp combo

My conclusion is;

If you want to perform better at your games - get the Monitor, the response is noticeably quicker at the expense of an aesthetic display (TN panel vs IPS)

If you want to enjoy your games ie. single player RPGs etc the Astro Mix Amp is brilliant at bringing out the potential of the Dolby codecs in games - for PS4, where everything is Dolby, this will change the way you game, full stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back