Debating a new soundcard and desktop/bookshelf speakers for pc
Oct 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sherlock19

100+ Head-Fier
Okay well i was thinking about what my next purchase based on my pc would be and because i just got a brang new rig, and i have no speakers except the ones on my monitor, i figured i could ask you guys what i should think about purchasing for future listening on my desktop.

I was thinking of getting a soundcard and some speakers that connected to the soundcard via rca? mabye? well anyways any suggestiongs would be great although i am looking into the hifi asus sound cards so idk if you can tear me away from those for something else, but do your best
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 8
a cambirdge audio 640a is 250 usd alone... please explain

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 8
well im think im going to buy the asus xonar essence stx and the m audio Studiophile AV 40. So just one quick question, the m audio speakers will directly connect to the sound card through the rca correct? thats pretty much my only question

i dont think i am going to purchase any more products for my pc speakers right now, but what else could i consider purchasing to go along with these two products to help me increase sound quality, and anything else lol.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the difference between the sound card and the amp? do you need both?

If you have passive speakers you are going to need to get an external amp for amplifying the signal. The sound card converts the signal from digital to analog before it goes to the amp. Your computer has a DAC in it already, but it is not of necessarily high quality.

Might be easier to just get some powered monitors like the Audioengine offerings and just call it a day, cause you will probably be pretty damn happy with it.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So between a pair of active speakers and a DAC, there's no need to get anything else right?

Do some more reading and decide how you want to control the volume on your speakers.

For example, if you get powered speakers (the Audioengines mentioned above are a good choice), they will probably have a volume control. The volume on the Audioengine A2 is on the rear of the speaker -- not very convenient when the speakers are on a windowsill or near a wall.

You could use software to control the volume, such as the volume control on iTunes.

I wanted a physical volume control and opted for a DAC/preamp/headamp (Headroom's Ultra Desktop.)

Another good choice: the Headroom Total Bithead at $159. Functionally, it does everything the Ultra Desktop does at more than ten times the price. The little Bithead has a volume control on the front of the unit.

It's a wonderful unit, well worth checking out.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back