Deathproof
Mar 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]Did you like it? Yes or no, and WHY please.
[/size]

Death Proof (2007)

Personally, I loved this movie. Everything about it was perfect. I can't decide which I like better, this or Kill Bill Vol 1. They are definitely tied as my favorite Tarantino movies.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Did you like it? Yes or no, and WHY please.
[/size]

Death Proof (2007)

Personally, I loved this movie. Everything about it was perfect. I can't decide which I like better, this or Kill Bill Vol 1. They are definitely tied as my favorite Tarantino movies.

Yes.. Kurt russell was simply stunning.. But a lot of people will find it boring. I found it intruging..

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 29
compared to Tarantino's other work? Phhh forget it.
I honestly didn't like Kill bill but.
Reservoir Dogs, sin city, and of course Pulp fiction
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 29
I liked it. Because it was so stupid. I laughed more at it's cheesy lines and gory car accidents than i do to some real comedy. And the ending topped off. Its not supposed to be serious. Excellent entertainment really, depending on your mood. No need to engage the brain, just sit back and relax.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
compared to Tarantino's other work? Phhh forget it.
I honestly didn't like Kill bill but.
Reservoir Dogs, sin city, and of course Pulp fiction
biggrin.gif

QT only directed one short scene in Sin City.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 29
I know it was a throwback, but I didn't really like it (or hate it). Planet Terror I found real boring.

And for reference, I liked Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs, but not Pulp Fiction.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 29
The Kill Bill series is a piece of ****, but Deathproof was interesting as a tribute and audience mind****.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kill Bill series is a piece of **** [snip]

What makes you say that? I thought the story, acting, atmosphere, everything seemed to be carefully executed for awesomeness and effect. Plus it was just badass.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it was excellent.

To anyone complaining of dialogue, character development, and what else:

(point of the movie)
-----------------------

(your head)

I understand the point of the movie. It's basically a bunch of filler leading up to a lukewarm chase scene. Why not just watch Vanishing Point?

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you say that? I thought the story, acting, atmosphere, everything seemed to be carefully executed for awesomeness and effect. Plus it was just badass.

There barely is a story construction. You can sacrifice half the film (Part 1) and you lose what - a little background on the sword creation? The reason Tarantino is so much more interesting than Rodriguez and many others, is because he knows how to tell a story cinematically (often messing with the technique as he goes). Kill Bill is just a collection of scenes (which you may or may not personally like), but that doesn't inherently amount to anything. It's like eating cereal that reminds you of your childhood and calling it great. And although his tribute subject there isn't exactly known for great writing, neither is Deathproofs, and you can see the difference when he's working. I don't personally care much for Deathproof, but I think his goals and successes there are interesting, especially when contrasted against the possibly more successful, but limited pay-tribute-but-offer-nothing-else Planet Terror.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the point of the movie. It's basically a bunch of filler leading up to a lukewarm chase scene. Why not just watch Vanishing Point?

That's a great question and a problem with tributes, but I think you're wrong on the filler. The filler here is the focus. You get to know the victims, then they're lead to that slaughter. That's Deathproofs little contribution.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 29
Definitely a deviation from Tarantino's usual work, but it came packaged in the same style. Dialog driven and an entertaining look into a little noticed section of American culture (not the usual crime based groups this time). I thought it was wickedly entertaining of Death Proof, but not too excited for Grindhouse (didn't finish it).

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tolkachi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely a deviation from Tarantino's usual work, but it came packaged in the same style. Dialog driven and an entertaining look into a little noticed section of American culture (not the usual crime based groups this time). I thought it was wickedly entertaining of Death Proof, but not too excited for Grindhouse (didn't finish it).

Ah, a spotting of the rare and elusive Head-Fi lurker!
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 29
Not bad but not nearly as enjoyable as "Planet Terror"

I Laughed my ass off during Planet Terror. And the fake trailers in Grondhouse were awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back