Death on Friday the 13th (Julia Child)
Aug 14, 2004 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
She had a wonderful way about her, and a fantastic taste for French food. She was instrumental in bringing the art of French cuisine to the American masses. And her show will always be remembered by me as I wasted away my Saturday mornings watching cooking shows.

One particular moment I recall was when she was doing a show with Jacques Pépin, and they got into a little fight about the amount of butter which should be used. The chief point being that Julia thought there should be more. Much more. And Jacques, noticeably pissed, had to give in.

Anyway, there's a more detailed write-up here.

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 4
I was surprised how old she was.
I must admit to having tried a small number of her recipes without much success. She's credited w/ demystifying French cuisine but there were always on or two terms in each recipe that meant nothing to me.
I've learned a thing or two since that time and I'm tempted to have another go. Her Coq au Vin recipe might be a place to start.
CPW
I was actually going to start another thread looking for a recipe. I guess I'll do it now!

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I was always amazed at her sense of humor. I remember a show she was doing with a goose (maybe turkey?). As she's carrying it, she drops it in front of the camera. She picks it up and says "Oooo, you know what you would do at home!" And continues on.

Aug 14, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you Julia.
I don't know who was more fun to watch, my grandma or Julia. I learned alot about cooking from them both.

And "The Joy of Cooking"

Turn off your Bass-O-Matic and let's eat!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back