Death In June
Oct 30, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
What is the best Coil album? Do not currently have any Coil or Current 93.

That's really a loaded question due to how much shifting they do in their style. I'd suggest checking out 'Horse Rotorvator' for the early period, 'Love's Secret Domain' for their very ahead of its time IDM-ish/Dance-ish dark ambience done during their middle period (89-92) and the 'Music to Play in the Dark' EPs for the really unusual exploration they're doing recently that still remains accessable, unlike the recent 'Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil' which is outright walls of harsh noise towards the last 33 tracks.

I think if I had to choose just one Coil album it'd probably still be 'Love's Secret Domain' or its companion album 'Stolen and Contaminated' which really go well together.

Oct 30, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 19
oh man, its funny that you mention "I Have a Special Plan for this World", ive been listening to that repeatedly this week, really freaky ****, not even in terms of the music, but Ligottis writing and the way he reads it. I think youre right about C93 having some really good stuff, and then some really, really, REALLY godawful **** out there (The Fall of Christopher Robin), but I have to disagree about the best Coil album, for me its definitely Time Machines, just overall insane, unlike anything else out there

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 19
Got my 2CD DIJ "discriminate" set but didn't like it and sold in 4 hrs at half.com for little cost to me. I think they tricked me, my memory from 15yrs ago was that DIJ from "nada" and earlier period was a industrial sound.........I think they did acoustic remakes of all this stuff for "discriminate" (or my memory is going bad)

Anyway what we have is a doom folk sound which sometimes reminds me of introspective material from Peter Murphy's solo work. Also for some reason the recording is very brightly recorded
so I had to sell.

I do enjoy the Grave 45 CD "sleep in safety" which is right up the alley of anyone who like classic Danzig era Misfits material.

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 19
That's too bad. Most of my DIJ is on vinyl, and it sounds fine... so i wouldn't know. Still... poor fidelity is not reason enough for me to get rid of good music. Just look at some of those old 78RPM records... the quality is not quite to par, but some of that old jazz is awesome.

...and 45 grave is AWESOME.... they are almost one of my fav bands now. Right up there with christian death and siouxsie.

I hope you played 45 grave on halloween... i did, and all of the trick-or-treaters were wondering what it was
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back