Death In June
Oct 24, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Has anyone heared any of their stuff?

I'm listening to "rose clouds of holocaust" right now, and it is awesome.

Their experimental stuff is okay, but i prefer their more instrumental works. Anyone who has not heard anything by them should try to check out some mp3's.

I know they didn't get "five stars" on allmusic.com, but to be honest, allmusic.com has NO CREDIBILITY when it comes to anything remotely outside the mainstream.

Oct 24, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 19
it's interesting that you mention them, cause ive been on a kinda world serpent binge this week (well just DiJ and current 93), and death in june came to chicago this sunday but i was sick and missed it which im still pissed off about. yeh they (well he i guess since its just Douglas P. now) are great, the voice, the lyrics, the melodies the framing of the songs. you should listen to the new album "All Pigs Must Die", its got Boyd Rice (Non) doing some electronics on it and all the stuff ive heard off it has been awesome, very technological, while still retaining the folk and the very dark element of it all. oh and ive decided that i am going to play a DiJ song on every radio show i do

i have to disagree with you about allmusic tho, they list and review some really really random, totally non-mainstream stuff. they definitely dont get everyone i may want to read about, but i think theyre still a great basic resource even for stuff like DiJ, and more electronic music

Oct 24, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, they do list a lot of underground stuff, but i disagree with a lot of their "tastes"

I'll have to check out their new cd...hopefully i will get some money by the end of the month.

Oct 25, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 19
I was going to get the two CD anthology set called "discriminate", have you heard this?

Back in the mid 80's I had two records but never replaced them with CDs. I recall I liked them but really don't remember any particular song. I remeber one album had gauntlet with whip on the cover..........

Oct 25, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 19
I've never heard "discriminate"

I'm kinda odd with my record buying, i only buy full albums, no compilations or anything like that.

Just make sure it hasRose Clouds of Holocaust and Accidental Protege on it.

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 19
I did some research the albums I had previously were:
-nada LP
-born again EP (gauntlet & whip)

I may also have owned "brown book LP" looks very familiar

The 2 CD set "discriminate 1981-97" has these tracks:

Disc 1 (Totenkopf):
1. Fields of Rape
2. Hail! The White Grain
3. Rose Clouds of Holocaust
4. Till the Living Flesh is Burned
5. Break the Black Ice
6. Torture By Roses
7. To Drown a Rose
8. Luther's Army
9. Little Black Angel
10. But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?
11. Heilige Leben
12. Cathedral of Tears
13, Leopard Flowers
14. The Guilty Have No Pride
15. Accidental Protege

Disc 2 (Whip-hand):
1. Hullo Angel
2. Heaven Street
3. She Said Destroy
4. Fall Apart
5. Leper Lord
6. C'est un Rêve
7. Touch Defiles
8. The Torture Garden
9. Come Before Christ and Murder Love
10. Rocking Horse Night
11. Hollow of Devotion
12. Golden Wedding of Sorrow
13. Black Radio
14. Runes and Men
15. Giddy Giddy Carousel
16. 13 Years of Carrion
17. Crush My Soul
18. Honour of Silence

What do you think, I will probably buy this.

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 19
Yep, it has my two required songs... go for it...

Lol, i still cringe every time you mention your switch from an LP12 to CD's.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 19
I did get a used copy of DIJ "discriminate " which should arrive soon, got at half.com

Tim
Got new copy of 45 Grave "sleep in safety" which is suddenly available now, under $10 many places online. I will also get new Siouxsie Greatest Hits remastered to be released 11/12/02, will try to get ltd edition 2 CD set with set of 12" and remixes on 2nd CD.

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 19
45 Grave!! You're making me proud!
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome. I've actually had the honor of meeting Dinah Cancer in person a couple times (at a club called "release the bats". She's a very cool gal, still lookin very good for her age.
evil_smiley.gif

Her new band "Penis Flytrap" is cool, but ONLY live... i would not recommend any recordings by them, as they are more of a theatrical group than 45 grave was. It's quite a fun show to see if you ever get the chance.

And Siouxsie...

Sheesh these remasters are long overdue! I've been quite addicted her "through the looking glass" compilation recently. I saw her live at the palladium in hollywood a couple months ago, it was a great show, but the crappy sound system at the palladium kinda hindered the whole experience, not to mention a few annoying people. David J from bauhaus opened for her... He was OK, but not great.

Another band you should check out (i'm sure you already have) is Xmal Deutschland... they released a lot of awesome stuff.

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Another band you should check out (i'm sure you already have) is Xmal Deutschland... they released a lot of awesome stuff.

Yes I had both Xmal albums, and do have Toscin on CD. Lots of cool groups with 4AD label in early-mid 1980's.

I like Siouxsie stuff from JuJu and Kaliedoscope, especially
-sin in my heart
-arabian knights
-christine
-desert kisses

Oct 28, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 19
You might also like some stuff by Screaming Dead.

You can find there MP3's on MP3.com... YAY

It's actually disturbing how many old batcave bands list stuff there.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 19
My favorite DiJ album is still 'But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?', however 'Rose Clouds of Holocaust' and 'The Cathedral of Tears' are also worth owning as well. I'm really hoping DiJ comes up with something up to par with those others, as I'm afraid it's turning into how I view Current93 whom I can only appreciate for a few particular songs (The Cat is Dead, Anyway People Die, I Have a Special Plan for the World) as opposed to complete albums.

My favorite out of that whole circle of people still remains to be Coil, whom one day I may actually get a chance to see live.. And if I'm *really* lucky one day I might actually get them to sign my 'How to Destroy Angels' vinyl which is securely hidden away next to my rare Swans vinyls and master reel (Cop album), only to be occassionally looked at when I clean out that closet.

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by ProtoCat
My favorite out of that whole circle of people still remains to be Coil, whom one day I may actually get a chance to see live.. And if I'm *really* lucky one day I might actually get them to sign my 'How to Destroy Angels' vinyl which is securely hidden away next to my rare Swans vinyls and master reel (Cop album), only to be occassionally looked at when I clean out that closet.

What is the best Coil album? Do not currently have any Coil or Current 93.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back