Dear Sony, SanDisk, Cowon et al
Dec 14, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before more space I'd like to see a mini-jack line-out.

At least for apple... Gee you wouldn't want to break the "Made for Ipod" accessory vendor revenue stream would you?

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 22
Pretty much just waiting for the 64 GB flash models to finally come out before I get away from harddrive players forever more...

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 22
I think Sandisk/Cowon went the right direction with adding additional flash support i.e. SD and MicroSD. This allows you to buy a relatively cheap DAP 4gb or so and give it a major boost with your own removable flash (which from your link shows how cheap flash based memory at that size is vs a DAP at that size would be).

So I rather just see removable memory get bigger and let the DAPs stay at lower capcity and stay relatively cheap.

Issue with HDD based players is they cannot be juggled around too much or the plates will get ruined over time (look at a ZVM).

/notsigned

pink

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Sandisk/Cowon went the right direction with adding additional flash support i.e. SD and MicroSD. This allows you to buy a relatively cheap DAP 4gb or so and give it a major boost with your own removable flash (which from your link shows how cheap flash based memory at that size is vs a DAP at that size would be).

So I rather just see removable memory get bigger and let the DAPs stay at lower capcity and stay relatively cheap.

Issue with HDD based players is they cannot be juggled around too much or the plates will get ruined over time (look at a ZVM).

/notsigned

pink

Big +1! Another knock on HDD based DAPs is the drive murders battery life. I can legitimately get 50+ hours of music play on my D2 with a single charge. I am sure playing video knocks that down, but I could care less, I only listen to music with it.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

/notsigned

pink

+1 on expandability, however...

SD and uSD size flash memory is more expensive than the larger flash memory that could be used in DAPs themselves, so I'd like to leverage that advantage when I purchase a DAP.

...Adding, while expanding an 8gb player to 24gb or even 40gb is nice, having a 64gb player with lossless support that expands to 96gb (or 128gb in the next year or so) would be ... different and transformative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back