Dear Sennheiser...
Sep 24, 2005 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to request the release of a special edition headphone to honor the enlightened Sen fans that inhabit head-fi. The special edition could be easy, based on either the HD600 or Hd650, with a different look. We Sen fans are not the wood-grain-trim type, so a more high tech look is recommended. I believe that the naked carbon fiber look of the HD580 Jubilee would suit high tech tastes much better. The cable is not really important. In fact, since we all have a quiver of replacements already, it would make them quite elite to be sold without any cable at all. This would give the naysayers little to complain about. A piece of blackout cloth behind the outer grill would also contribute to a completely different, yet familiar look.

All that remains is the name. imho, what could be more appropriate than FOTM-1?

Respectfully yours,

gerG

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
All that remains is the name. imho, what could be more appropriate than FOTM-1?

Ummm... the Sennheiser Head-Fi-ser?
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd rather have it based on the 5x5 series than the 600/650's. First of all I've had the 600 and currently own the 650 so I wouldn't buy the same thing over again. Also, even at promo prices these would run $300+ which might scare off some buyers. Then again I've had the 555 before but at least I wouldn't essentially have two HD650's lying around.

But I think a way to REALLY influence Senn would be to do the math:

By the time all is said and done we'll probably see at least 350 sales (very conservative estimate), so @ $200 a pop let's assume $70,000 in sales with no marketing or promotions costs. A forum post and insane word of mouth 'buzz' marketing hype did the work instead.

$25 each to the forum leaves behind:

$61,250

Let's pretend Todd is getting $50 per can on markup (wild guess). That leaves:

$43,750

Let's say half of that cost is eaten up in raw materials and production/shipping (again, wild guess). That leaves:

$21,875 profit

So, even if my guesses are way off, I fell pretty comfortable saying that Grado is probably seeing at *least* $10,000 profit from the HF-1. Not a bad move! So Sennheiser...sounds like easy money to me
wink.gif
Just wait a while so it isn't seen as a copycat move (and so the HF-1 purchasers can refill their bank accounts for more impulse buying).

--Illah

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 13
How about a special Head-fi edition Sennheiser built upon the buds provided with this technology... anybody remember those horrible little things?

They could plate em in gold, encusted with diamonds and pad the insides with sheep skin like those 4000$ sony cans! They could even offer a separate 'special edition' made out of the hollowed earbones of endangered elephants! Some maniac would buy them! Maybe you!

Sep 24, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 13
That would be a purchase urge difficult too resist!

I would welcome a small pre-series of a successor to the HD-650, only sold to Head-Fi´ers for evaluation and feed-back.
tongue.gif

That will probably remain a dream. But when the successor eventually will be produced, it will turn Head-Fi up side down. Every Senn lover will want to have one, and the first owners will be looked upon as saints.
icon10.gif

No – really, if there would be a special Head-Fi edition of the HD-650, it would have to have a slightly different sound signature than the current to fetch my serious interest. Just a different cosmetic design will not cut it.
plainface.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 13
hmmm...

This might be the avenue to re-introduce the HE60. I am not too keen on electrostatics, but I would be tempted by a FOTM-1 edition.

I stil want carbon fiber.

gerG

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
I'd rather have it based on the 5x5 series

hmmm, a carbon fiber HD595 with the chrome trimming.... idunno about that. theres not much we could expect is there? i mean, people have woodied alredy, the carbon fiber thing is done, i cant think of a combination that would look good. why not a black HD595 with chrome finish grill.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Ummm... the Sennheiser Head-Fi-ser?
600smile.gif

tongue.gif
Or the Sennheiser HD-HF

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Heh, am I the one who'd want a HF25-1? Maybe coming with a stock OFC cable and velor pads! I mean, wanting top cans is great, but gimmie a good portable (without the Made In Ireland on the headband!) and I'm a happy man. I think the HF-1 hit a great pricepoint.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 13
I would love for Sennheiser to re-release the HE-60. When I had my Baby O system, I wasn't impressed by it. I'm sure with the right amplification, they are tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back