Dear Science is no Cookie Mountain
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
I found the new TV on the Radio serviceable, but no where near as unique sounding as the last. It has all all the current hip trademarks - the Top Gun synth pads and funky rhythm guitar propulsion, kind of like a cross between Neon Neon & Hercules & Love Affair; kind of reactionary. Lyrically, I wasn't as smitten either. There are not Wolf Like Me's or Blues Down Here's. I enjoyed the album. However, the preceding hype left me a little disappointed and bewildered.

I've read a-lot love scattered about the forum, so here's your chance to brand me a whacky misbegotten.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 12
Going off what I've heard from their myspace page, Dear Science just isn't for me. I really tried to get into Cooking Mountain, but in the end it found its way to my local used CD shop. IMO, they peaked at Young Liars, and it was glorious.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 12
I was way under impressed with dear science... not that I was a real big fan of cookie mountain to begin with but it does have some absolutely stellar tracks such as let the devil in and blues from down here.

I probably should have never read the reviews as I would rather be pleasantly surprised rather than let down. The kicker here is that Pitchfork gave this a 9.2 and I'm sorry but NO WAY is this a 9.2. I think 8 is being generous... it's certainly not BAD. It does seem to reek of rip offs despite the fact that it's probably cliche to compare everything to arcade fire these days.

What *IS* damn good that I have been spinning lately is boy eats drum machine. His new one is booomboxxx and it was literally released days ago.... the back catalog is nothing the laugh at either. If you like TVOTR or the more eclectic pacific northwest indie then it's sure to be a slam dunk.... pick it up and impress all your hip friends while it's still cool.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 12
I was disappointed also the first time I listened to it. It's certainly a different direction from their last album, alot poppier, more beat driven, but give it some time. The album has definitely grown on me and after awhile it just kind of clicked.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 12
I think its fantastic, but Cookie Mountain is so ridiculously good its unfair to compare. I think the songwriting got better in one sense, but they definitely abandoned some of their uniqueness.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 12
After my first listen I of course draw no conclusions, except to say that it is no where near as infectious and subversive as Cookie Mountain was musically. That said, it still sounds like a great album and well worth the purchase. There is alot here to get into, and I can see the play counts adding up quickly. The same cannot be said for Snow Patrol's latest, "A Hundred Million Suns"... What a disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back