Dear iRiver, Please put SDHD slot on iClix!
Feb 27, 2007 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stereophile

Head-Fier
Dear iRiver,

Please produce a flash-based mp3 player with a SDHD slot something just like Clix2 or X20 -- with an SDHD slot.

I have been a faithful iRiver customer for years, but moved to Cowon because of one factor: they put an SDHD slot on their D2.

But now, many are getting burned by Cowon's abyssmal customer support, mean-spirited tech support, and arrogant secretive reps.

I've always appreciated your great customer support, like when you replaced my IFP-899, no questions asked.

Please make the relatively simple move of putting put a SDHD slot on an iRiver model like the Clix2 or X20, and you will take a large % of the worldwide flashed-based MP3 player market.

No major redesigns needed. Could be as easy as releasing the Clix2 or X20-SDHD version, and chargin more for them. Try it. Watch the money come in.

Quote from iaudiophile.com; exchange between customer & Cowon tech support:

"Call accepted by operator Tech Supoort Team. Currently in room: greg smith, Tech Supoort Team.
Tech Supoort Team:
Yes?
greg smith:
Well, I really had a question in regards to sales
Tech Supoort Team:
Go ahead.
greg smith:
Ok......getting conflicting info the last two weeks regarding status of shipments for D2's.........
greg smith:
When are you expecing some in?
Tech Supoort Team:
We will get some 2GB in for March.
greg smith:
Ok....and 4gb?
Tech Supoort Team:
No idea for the 4GB.
Tech Supoort Team:
It has not been released in the US yet.
Tech Supoort Team:
Possibly in April, no guarantees.
greg smith:
Yesterday, I was told the 4gb would be this week........when can I talk to someone in sales?
Tech Supoort Team:
I am in sales.
Tech Supoort Team:
What are you talking about?
greg smith:
It comes as support........yesterday myself and two others contacted this support and was told that 4gb would be in this week........(first week of March). Then two others did the same yesterday and received the response you gave......guess we are just trying to find out what info is correct
Tech Supoort Team:
That is incorrect, it may have been a misunderstanding.
Tech Supoort Team:
The above information I have provided is most accurate.
Tech Supoort Team:
Either way we are not obligated to provide release information, I am telling this because I am nice.

Tech Supoort Team:
2GB are coming in March.
Tech Supoort Team:
4GB are not a sure date.
Tech Supoort Team:
Our corporate in South Korea has to give the okay."

Tech Supoort Team:
"Either way we are not obligated to provide release information, I am telling this because I am nice."

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 14
I think irivers biggest fault is that they had the H100 series in production, in my and many others opinion the best DAP in history
eggosmile.gif
and that they don't even have a big harddrive player anymore.

And what do they have now, toys
tongue.gif
No actually all the current players are fine, but not like iHP-120.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think irivers biggest fault is that they had the H100 series in production, in my and many others opinion the best DAP in history
eggosmile.gif
and that they don't even have a big harddrive player anymore.

I know. Why did they stop making that great line of players?

The only thing I can figure is there just aren't enough numbers of us who really appreciate great SQ.

Apparently, companies can make more $$ selling tons of lower-end stuff to the masses -- who on average don't care that much about SQ --

Apparently, they can make more $$ selling $99-$199 stripped down machines that will play video & games etc (bleh) -- than selling a few higher-end audio-focused units.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodandsoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to ask -- what is SDHD?

He means SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity), the high capacity version of the SD Card. Has a lot more GB than normal SD cards. wikipedia.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I know. Why did they stop making that great line of players?

The only thing I can figure is there just aren't enough numbers of us who really appreciate great SQ.

Apparently, companies can make more $$ selling tons of lower-end stuff to the masses -- who on average don't care that much about SQ --

Apparently, they can make more $$ selling $99-$199 stripped down machines that will play video & games etc (bleh) -- than selling a few higher-end audio-focused units.

I am a Clix user and have spent a lot of time on the Mistic River forums. From what I can gather from what people have written is that the market in Korea, where iRiver is from, is different from the American market. People in the Asian countries like to wear their players kind of like jewelry so daps are being made with that in mind. Making them flash based instead of hdd based makes them lighter. There's probably other reasons as well.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 14
now an iRiver with Micro SD would be sweet
eggosmile.gif

Left to right: normal SD, mini SD, micro SD
SD_miniSD_microSD.jpg

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 14
The iriver W10 will sport a miniSD card slot, and the X20 a microSD slot.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 14
There are players supporting sd/minisd/microsd. But there is no player but Cowon d2 which supports SDHC cards. It means that d2 is the only one player which can be used with cards bigger than 4gb. I'm not sure how are the cards prices in other countries, but here in Poland I can buy sdhc 8gb for like 230pln which equals like 75$, so it's great way for expand your dap memory.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drippydonut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iriver W10 will sport a miniSD card slot, and the X20 a microSD slot.

X20 also has the audio-in jack which mean I can records from audio-in jack with a microphone.
biggrin.gif

This is an excellent little player/recorder. The 4GB iRiver X20 is only $159

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can gather from what people have written is that the market in Korea, where iRiver is from, is different from the American market. People in the Asian countries like to wear their players kind of like jewelry so daps are being made with that in mind. Making them flash based instead of hdd based makes them lighter. There's probably other reasons as well.

Just wanted to say that I'm from Asia (Singapore), and that the trend annoys me. People here are wearing everything from phones to DAPs around their necks. While it is considered trendy, I'm one of many who would rather see them make DAPs with better SQ and line-outs, or at least not sacrifice sound quality for fashion. Unfortunately for all of us, these are still companies who care about one thing above all: the bottom line.
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X20 also has the audio-in jack which mean I can records from audio-in jack with a microphone.
biggrin.gif

This is an excellent little player/recorder.

Audio line in!!??

My god, how can they choos to build a player with audio in instead of line-out
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back