Dear Head-Fi: I'm a pirate!
Dec 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 33
Buying used seems to defeat the purpose for me. I mean okay if you want it in vinyl that's one thing, but by buying the CD of it, all you're doing is giving a cut to them middle man and nothing extra to the artist.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying used seems to defeat the purpose for me. I mean okay if you want it in vinyl that's one thing, but by buying the CD of it, all you're doing is giving a cut to them middle man and nothing extra to the artist.

Mozart was really upset with me when I bought his boxed set symphonies used!

beyersmile.png

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Don't worry--I found a great site that sells CDs for new & cheap...with almost free shipping to Europe: Buy Music CDs, DVDs, Games, Consoles, Blu Ray, MP3s & More - hmv.com - Free Delivery

(God, sounds like I'm advertising)

Anyway, the slew of incomming FLACs should sound nicely with my just-ordered SR325is's.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #20 of 33
Dec 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy Music CDs, DVDs, Games, Consoles, Blu Ray, MP3s & More - hmv.com - Free Delivery

Holy smokes! £37 shipping for "the rest of the world"!?

I'd buy more CDs if record stores here had more CDs other than Lady Gaga... I'd also like to get into vinyl, but I can't find a turntable anywhere. Vinyl is also hard to find here, but I'm convinced I'm just not looking hard enough...

HMV ended up being more expensive than I anticipated, and it turns out--despite the trans-Atlantic shipping--that cduniverse is the cheapest. So I indulged in buying quite a large amount of CDs (since shipping is cheaper when buying in bulk). If anyone is curious, here's the list:

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea -- Neutral Milk Hotel
Perfect From Now On -- Built To Spill
Very Best Of Badfinger -- Badfinger
Soup -- Blind Melon
Nico -- Blind Melon
For My Friends -- Blind Melon
Marcy Playground -- Marcy Playground
So Tonight That I Might See -- Mazzy Star
Is This It -- The Strokes
Room On Fire -- The Strokes
First Impressions Of Earth -- The Strokes
Creek Drank The Cradle -- Iron and Wine
Chain Gang Of Love -- The Raveonettes
Pretty In Black -- The Raveonettes
Lust Lust Lust -- The Raveonettes
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain -- Pavement
Transistor Radio -- M. Ward
Hold Time -- M. Ward
Post-War -- M. Ward
Push Barman To Open Old Wounds -- Belle and Sebastian
Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me -- The Cure
In Rainbows -- Radiohead
Consolers of the Lonely -- Raconteurs
Broken Boy Soldiers -- Raconteurs
Modern Guilt -- Beck
Wilco (the album) -- Wilco
Boxer -- The National

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

I usually see 320 followed by 192 or VBR variants. I hardly see 128.

You are obviously not familar with limewire. Back in the day (not that long ago) when I knew nothing about sound quality I used Limewire. I still have old songs I downloaded from there that sound horrible, and they're usually titled incorrectly.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #23 of 33
I stopped using Limewire once I figured out how to use torrents a long long while back. Limewire is also a gateway for viruses. Nasty stuff.

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #25 of 33
+1 on Amazon.
Have bought some CDs through them, and pleased with the end result.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mozart was really upset with me when I bought his boxed set symphonies used!

beyersmile.png

Quote:

Heh, I actually don't buy CDs from artists that aren't alive anymore for the same reason
biggrin.gif

Look up the difference between mechanical royalties (paid to performers) and publishing royalties (only paid to composers). Depending on the contractual arrangement, it's entirely probable that living artists benefit when you buy a recording of, for example, a Mozart symphony. The performers don't benefit when their recording is broadcast on the radio (only the composer does), but they likely do when CDs are sold.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #30 of 33
^^^

That diagram really helps explain it all. Now I get it! lol very funny, made my day
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back