Dear god why am i back on this forum....
May 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 36
I have the STX, good dac, but crappy JRC opamps, and high output impedance (yes it does make a difference in my opinion, definitely with the D2k anyway)

May 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:
hmm that much of a difference? no i might have to get a sound card. i didnt realize the mix amp was so poor in comparison? what did you notice that was different between them? and yes i mostly pc game but i still like to play console FPS.

Yup big difference...everything that you want in your audio for gaming is better...soundstage, directional ques etc...also bass for that immersion when theres explosions is MUCH better (only with swapped out opamps does this really become much better!)...also clarity is allot better its so much easier to pick up footsteps and grenade pins etc...you can even tell where the grenade is rolling which was impossible with the Mixamp! 

Ahh once playing FPS on PC there was no going back to console...it was a bye, bye PS3 moment haha 

May 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 36
Protip: the more excited someone is on an online forum about a difference between comparable products, the greater the chance of it being all in their head.

The 900s have a moderate impedance and good sensitivity, the mixamp should have no problem driving them.

May 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 36
agreed^^ only thing is many of my friends dont have the money for gaming PC's so i find myself often stooping down to consoles for COD games mostly. although i will never get a battlefield game on console haha no way

edit: its not the 900's im worried about its the Q701, which i probably would need a preamp for if using a mixamp.  by the way could i use an AMB mini^3 as a preamp?

May 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
agreed^^ only thing is many of my friends dont have the money for gaming PC's so i find myself often stooping down to consoles for COD games mostly. although i will never get a battlefield game on console haha no way

edit: its not the 900's im worried about its the Q701, which i probably would need a preamp for if using a mixamp.  by the way could i use an AMB mini^3 as a preamp?

Battlefield on PC is a major pain in the ass, If you don't have capless then don't, but OMW its awesum with my STX + AD797 opamps + AKG K242HD, like godlike

May 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Protip: the more excited someone is on an online forum about a difference between comparable products, the greater the chance of it being all in their head.
The 900s have a moderate impedance and good sensitivity, the mixamp should have no problem driving them.

Dude...what soundcard did you use to compare with the Mixamp as it must have been pretty bad...also did you own both or just demo?

PC´s can utilise soooo much better tech that consoles just cant match, a high quality soundcard will have 10x better components in them than the crappy mixamp does and if you think this has no affect on sound then this my firend is the wrong forum to be posting...can you really imagine a mixamp having great amps and circuity in it...no is the answer, most people use gaming headsets with them so they would just be throwing money down the drain quite literally if HQ tech was thrown in! Whereas with a HQ soundcard like the Ti HD the quality of components is to an amazing standard as it is designed for use with HQ headphones and monitors where the Mixamp is not...and at the end of the day if you use a crap source you will get a crap sound...period, well at least to my ears anyway! 
You can continue to be dellisioned over the mixamp being a great device but quite frankly it is not...rant over! I will say no more on this matter 
L3000.gif

Dunno about how the Mixamp would driveas I only used a DT770 Pro 80 which was on about 50% volume

Battlefield on PC is a major pain in the ass, If you don't have capless then don't, but OMW its awesum with my STX + AD797 opamps + AKG K242HD, like godlike

I use AD797 too...detail is great with these! 

BF3 really could have done better with positional audio though, SQ and immersion is great though 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 36
My only point was to suggest that the OP concentrate on which features are important to him. Once you start in on the "10x better components" you divert to misinformed hyperbole. I like to chime in when I run across that kind of recommendation and a person is asking about how to spend their hardearned money, if only to provide an alternate opinion.

I've used the Titanium HD, the STX, the Claro Halo; they're all fine headphone-oriented cards. The mixamp is also great at what it does and I currently use it for the living room PS3/360 system.

May 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
My only point was to suggest that the OP concentrate on which features are important to him. Once you start in on the "10x better components" you divert to misinformed hyperbole. I like to chime in when I run across that kind of recommendation and a person is asking about how to spend their hardearned money, if only to provide an alternate opinion.
I've used the Titanium HD, the STX, the Claro Halo; they're all fine headphone-oriented cards. The mixamp is also great at what it does and I currently use it for the living room PS3/360 system.

I was just trying to pount out the MASSIVE difference, your using it for console...how its intended to be used...not for PC, that was my point

Good luck OP in whatever you get! 

May 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 36
I use the Asus STX and I can say I am satisfied with it. (using the Sennheiser PC360 with it). You can also buy a daughter board to transform it into a 5.1 surround system although I haven't read a whole lot about it. I heard a lot of ppl say that the titanium and asus are equivalent. (you can change the opamp on the asus, not sure about the titanium)

May 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #28 of 36
How about the Xonar Essence STX? Very good DAC, and a pretty good headphone amp.
I'm a bit biased against Creative, they don't mention what DAC they use.

May 7, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #29 of 36
i already have a dac/amp guys thanks for the input but i'd only be buying this for gaming.  and from what ive heard creative has a slight edge in gaming and yes the titanium has changeable OP amps

May 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 36
Yeah, and its cheaper as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back