Dear DAP makers...
Aug 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
DUAL MICRO SD CARD SLOTS!

Oh, it's almost 2017, PUT DUAL MICRO SD CARD SLOTS ON YOUR PLAYERS.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Please don't repeat yourself, and 1 single SD card is enough.
See Lotoo Paw Gold.
And there are portable music players with 2 x micro sd card slots already available if you search properly the forums.
I think the guy has a point I have almost 500gb of music 1 card is not enough, some of the better players only have 1 and then they will only support 128gb at maximum and yes I know that I could have several cards and swap them out but that is a pain and would get expensive why should we compromise sound quality for capacity, I spent 6 months in vain searching for a high capacity,idiot proof alternative to my iPod classic in the end I made myself a 1tb ssd iPod.just because you're content with 1card players doesn't mean everyone is

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 15
Dual microsd slots was slowly becoming a standard but a couple of things happened:

- if you put 2 slots, you cannot charge absurd amounts of money anymore for additional internal memory (128Gb = 600+$, 256Gb = 1500+$), which is against "proper" marketing practices. A&K, Cowon, korean marketing in its full glory... While SSD prices have melted like snow under the sun, we still pay absurd amounts of money for memory in phones and DAPs. Thank you Apple and Samsung while we're at it.

-if you put 2 slots in your midrange, you don't have any additional specs to brag about in your high-end products. And you know what, let's keep just one slot in your high-end DAPs, because who cares...  "Proper" marketing practices lesson two.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 15
OP: If you were to buy the right player you'd have your dual slots. Pioneer & Onkyo for example have them. Google & Head-Fi are your friends.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 15
OP: If you were to buy the right player you'd have your dual slots. Pioneer & Onkyo for example have them. Google & Head-Fi are your friends.

That's kinda my point. Yes, there are a handful of players that have dual card slots - I HAVE been doing my homework - that is why I made this post. Sorry, I was frustrated when I made it, but like happychef above, I have been looking for a replacement for my ipod classic, and a suitable replacement is hard to find. Not everyone has $500-$700+ to spend on a dap. I'm not saying every model has to have one, but they should have at least one model from their lineup with a multiple card solution. 

I love the design and look of the new Shanling M2 and M5, but they won't work for me because there is only one storage slot. I could make a single card solution work, but then I would have to encode my music at under 100kbps and what would be the point of a new hi-res capable player with music encoded at that low a rate. And before that argument begins, yes, I have done the abx tests and yes I can tell a difference. Right now it is at 192kpbs and I wouldn't want to go below that. 

So, sorry for the tone of the first post, but my sentiment still stands. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 15
That's kinda my point. Yes, there are a handful of players that have dual card slots - I HAVE been doing my homework - that is why I made this post.

So, sorry for the tone of the first post, but my sentiment still stands. 

Tone and there was no background information on your part to support the rant, thus my comment. Your "point" is unsubstantiated.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Completely agree with the opening poster's views, sorry to dig up an old thread but it's now 2018 and we still have largely the same problem. It defies the point a little to have a Hi-Res player with not much more space than an iPod I could get get over 10 years ago for a fraction of the cost of now.

Swapping out micro SD cards makes me a feel a little like the old days of my minidisk player.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 15
Completely agree with the opening poster's views, sorry to dig up an old thread but it's now 2018 and we still have largely the same problem. It defies the point a little to have a Hi-Res player with not much more space than an iPod I could get get over 10 years ago for a fraction of the cost of now.

Swapping out micro SD cards makes me a feel a little like the old days of my minidisk player.

400gb is a lot more than old iPods... a lot more than 160GB.

And then you have to think about space, a lot of the dual card slot DAP's are bigger, it would be hard to fit dual slots on a small DAP like the Shanling M2s

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 15
400gb is a lot more than old iPods... a lot more than 160GB.

My point being on that, most people would have put 192kbps MP3s on the old iPods, that's what I did, 160gb was enough space for 192kbps files, 400gb isn't enough for flac versions let alone anything bigger. These are High Res devices, the iPod wasn't. Also, quite a lot of the mid to top range don't even give you 400gb, more like 320 at best - we're talking nearly £1000 (or more) for that.

Completely appreciate about the size issues but don't feel like that's an excuse these days, seems more like an artificial price inflate, might have to plump for a chunky Kann, a Cayin n5ii, or compromise on the battery and sound of a dx80. Just feels a shame, I would love some of the higher end Plenues if they had much bigger storage options.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 15
My point being on that, most people would have put 192kbps MP3s on the old iPods, that's what I did, 160gb was enough space for 192kbps files, 400gb isn't enough for flac versions let alone anything bigger. These are High Res devices, the iPod wasn't. Also, quite a lot of the mid to top range don't even give you 400gb, more like 320 at best - we're talking nearly £1000 (or more) for that.

Completely appreciate about the size issues but don't feel like that's an excuse these days, seems more like an artificial price inflate, might have to plump for a chunky Kann, a Cayin n5ii, or compromise on the battery and sound of a dx80. Just feels a shame, I would love some of the higher end Plenues if they had much bigger storage options.

Audio Opus #1 and #1s have dual slots, the Opus #2 flagship only has one. It is down to size a lot of the time, opening up the Opus #2 shows the board has been optimized and packed with no space for an additional card slot.

The Questyle QP2R went to a single slot, the QP1R had 2.

Memory cards are getting bigger, so manufacturers are just going with 1 slot. 400Gb is the biggest memory card, I wasn't talking about internal storage.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Audio Opus #1 and #1s have dual slots, the Opus #2 flagship only has one. It is down to size a lot of the time, opening up the Opus #2 shows the board has been optimized and packed with no space for an additional card slot.

The Questyle QP2R went to a single slot, the QP1R had 2.

Memory cards are getting bigger, so manufacturers are just going with 1 slot. 400Gb is the biggest memory card, I wasn't talking about internal storage.

Ah sorry, good when the devices do support the 400gb cards, I was also talking about devices that limit sd cards to 128gb, 200gb or 256gb sizes.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 15
The Opus #1s should support 2 400GB cards, so that's nearly 800GB on a small portable device, not sure how much more you need...

I accept that's the case for the Opus #1, I didn't say I wanted more than 500gb let alone 800gb, you're completely misquoting me which is quite funny. I don't want an Opus #1, is that fair? Doesn't sound the best buy and even if I did, can you tell where I can get it in the UK? It was released 2 years ago and still that's what you're offering up as a solution - what version of Android is it running?

We won't agree that's clear, I think along with the original poster that there seems to be a diminishing number of options available with dual slots which goes against the technological advances shown 2 years or more ago.

Given the size of the files intended to go on them and the average music collection size of someone willing to stump up £500 - £1000 on a DAP so many devices fall far short - do you agree on that?

I think it's a real shame, especially as these Hi Res devices are sold with the expectance of flac files on them, it's clearly very possible to chuck two in, you've mentioned the two year old Opus #1, I've mentioned the N5ii, the dx80 + the Kann - that's a sprinkling amongst the plethora of DAPs released in the last year and half since the original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back