Dealers and discounts
Sep 5, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #76 of 107
Grinch, my point in saying that the examples were irrelevant is simply that clearly stores need profit to survive -- that's not the issue at hand as it's obvious. I said that your examples did not apply because they're not on the same scale. I was asking people who know the costs involved with this specific sort of merchandise and to know whether $50 or $100 under the asking price really is a big cut out of the margin. Telling me that $100 can pay for living or business expenses is like telling me that I can use water to quench my thirst. I already know that -- I wanted to know the specifics of the situation.

Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
the world is not working for you, it is always working against you. people will judge you by every imaginable detail of how you present yourself and they will act on those judgements. this does not make it right, but it happens.

kinda funny to remember, but i believe i was your age (funny how big a change those two years is) when i got into this huge argument with my dad's fiance over this exact sort of thing. she told me that she would never hire somebody if she knew they had a tattoo because it "just seems irresponsible." i blew up at her. how could personal taste define the person's ability to do their job correctly? we argued and argued and she never changed her mind about how she felt. now she is head of human resources for one of the largest international banking firms in the world and i'm sure she feels the same way about it.

i'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but i can guarantee it will not be your first.

Good advice and very true.

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #78 of 107
I've had some good and bad experiences with dealers. Unfortunately, the first dealer I ever visited in Chicago was terrible and didn't even want to spend any time helping me. Then there are dealers like Decibel which are incredible and are always willing to help me out and they will give large discounts on the spot. You can tell that they are in business because they enjoy it. I will visit them again and again in the future. There are just too many options available today to put up with any bad dealers or people.

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #79 of 107
This thread has taught me some things.
If I ever get into a store that sells high end audio I will dress nicely and ask politley if they can do better on the price. Like maybe "Do you discount for cash?". I didn't know that prices were negotiable.

There is only one small "stereo store" where I live. They don't handle high end audio. They sell Kenwood and some car stereos along with music and guitars. I have purchased car stereo stuff and cds there and they usually offer a better price than posted. I've never tried to get them to go lower.

I was at a store in another town that sold home theater stuff. I was asking about Sony ES cd players. They had a few, but not the model I was looking for. The guy I talked to did offer to sell any cd player they had at cost becuse he couldn't remember the last time they sold one.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #80 of 107
. Quote:

If I ever get into a store that sells high end audio I will dress nicely and ask politley if they can do better on the price. Like maybe "Do you discount for cash?". I didn't know that prices were negotiable

Don't dress too nicely, or the salesman will think you're rich and can afford to pay full price.

The easiest way for a novice haggler to get started is to find out what the item you want is selling for. Then decide how much you actually are willing to pay. (be reasonable)

Then put the amount you are willing to pay in your wallet in cash before you walk into the store. ( If you want to pay around $1000 for a $1200 item, put a close but odd amount in your wallet ( like $987.00 or $1022.00 or something)

Then ask the rep what the best possible price he can do is. Whatever price he says, look like you really want this item but look disappointed. If his price is less than you've got in your wallet....buy it. If it's still more than you've got in your wallet, ask if if there's any way he could sell it for $1000.

If he comes close or says no, still looking disappointed, tell him you have to see if you have that much and pull out your wallet and slowly count the $1022.00 in front of him. For added effect, pull out your change as well and add it in.

Then look at him sadly and sigh "this is all I've got".

If you're offer isn't too low, the sight of the cold cash and a definite sale right in front of him, can become way too tempting and might make him agree to your amount.

Dramatic and sneaky, I know, but it can work

Sep 8, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #81 of 107
Addendum to M's suggestions:

NB:
Do not put $1000 cash in your pocket if you are visiting an audio store in Baltimore, New Haven, or anything above 114th st. in NYC.

Sep 8, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #82 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Addendum to M's suggestions:

NB:
Do not put $1000 cash in your pocket if you are visiting an audio store in Baltimore, New Haven, or anything above 114th st. in NYC.

Dan, you were reading my mind.
eek.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #84 of 107
Quote:

I guess you could always hide the $1000 down the front of your pants, but the salesman will likely be less eager to have it then.

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #85 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG

By the way, Isotope, please try to keep replies in a thread on-topic... I don't see how buying and returning a DVD player from Circuit City is related to how small high-end audio stores do business and when dealers are willing to negotiate.

Now, call me cynical... call me what you like, but aren't Isotope, and DanG after EXACTLY the same thing?

There is no contractual obligation for any store, whether that be rat-shack, or some ultra expensive store to offer discount... if they offer a percentage discount for a cash sale, then fantastic but, it is by no means reason for someone not to buy a product from that store when they DON'T offer one!!

So DanG, you've seen the product for cheaper online... why is that? simple... You cut out the salesperson(s), that doesn't take too much working out does it... if you're saving $60-80,000 per year by not having guys in cheap suits waffling a load of crap just to get your sale (its amazing, knowing about audio... just how much crap salespeople really DO say just to get a sale), then you can offer a percentage of that $60-80,000 as discount (estimated sales of 3,000 products ~ 10 per working day of each would give you $20 discount... the math is simple)

Now back to Isotope, so the player is great, but you think its just that little bit too expensive (or... just want to save a few greenbacks) ~ thats fine also... Thats why in most stores there is a discount corner... or in the case of Richer Sounds they buy the excess stock from stores that have no plans or no ability to sell the product, and then sell at a hefty discount.

Now, its not the people in the US either reading the signs wrongly (DanG & Isotope), or committing any crimes... its the stores (TubeRoller ~ Please feel free to confirm or deny what I'm saying, but please remember that this is a US ~ UK comparison)... You don't think that they have excess mark-up on their items? How do you think that they can afford the newest cars, or the nights out? doesn't take too much logic does it
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, in the UK, things are done slightly differently... on the most part, there is a policy of 'If you can find the same item cheaper anywhere within a 30 mile radius, we'll give you the difference back plus 10 percent'... Now, that ~ if you ask me is a much better approach.

You have 30 days to shop around even after you've bought the goods, and if you can find the product significantly cheaper, you are perfectly within your rights to go to the store you purchased the goods from and claim back the difference... easy
smily_headphones1.gif

So, all these people hitting off at Isotope... please can you explain to me how what he is planning to do is any different to what DanG wants? Yes, maybe the morals are different, but if you ask me the implications are still the same?!?!

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #86 of 107
Duncan, It seems to me that they are different situations. In my experience, it's not all that uncommon to haggle and negotiate with the salespeople in high end audio stores. The suggested retail price tag on high end items in these shops are exactly that, suggested. Wheras places like Circuit Cityand other Mass Retailers do not negotiate. The price is the price.
It seems to me DanG was upset beacuse the dealer wouldn't negotiate with him based on his appearence. DanG was willing to do business as it is done in that environment.
Isotope was after basically a scam.
No disrespect to Isotope intended.

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #87 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Isotope was after basically a scam.
No disrespect to Isotope intended.

i was trying to get the dvd player for a lower price. (money's importance to me slightly outweighs that of the pleasure i would receive from "scam[ming]" circuit city
rolleyes.gif
)

my question was simply asking what the odds of the player being discounted would be if i returned it. i posted it in the "dealers and discounts" thread, hoping a dealer would be able to answer the question. i apologize that i did not immediately recognize this thread as referring to only small, high-end audio dealerships.

no, circuit city does not negotiate, but due to what some may call "a loophole" in their national chain's sales/returns procedure, "the price is the price" did not apply. later, i did ask a sales rep at circuit city about the plan; while he stated that the odds of the player going on open-box sale were unlikely (as they would probably send it back to sony), he also said that if it went on sale, there was nothing they could do about it if i wanted to re-buy it. the "scam" was plausible, according to both circuit city regulations and my own morals. again-- i was not looking for moral advice from head-fiers. i would have started my own thread for that
biggrin.gif
; i simply wanted a dealer's input regarding the odds of the player going on sale.

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #88 of 107
Isotope, Cut it any way you want, call it a loophole, call it whatever you want. It's a scam. Your object was to get the player from a lower price from a store who, you admit, doesn't negotiate. You're saying in essence " I know this is the price, I know they don't negiotiate, how can I get this for a better price?
You refer to a "loophole" in the retailer's sales/return policy. Nothing in any store's policy about anything states anything about reselling a returned item for a discounted price. That's a management decision, not a policy. I don't pass judgement on your intentions, do whatever you see fit. But don't try to justify of pass off what you want to accomplish as "store procedure".
as much as you don't want to admit it, and I'm sure this is no reflection on who you are, You're basically trying to cheat the system. This is one of the reasons why Prices go up. It's not up to you or me or anyone not involved in the Circuit City upper management to decide that they make too much money or doing this won't hurt them. If your intention was to get the player for a lower price, there are other ways to go about it.
Justify your inquiries all you want, but basically that's what it is, a scam.

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #89 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Isotope, Cut it any way you want, call it a loophole, call it whatever you want. It's a scam.
You refer to a "loophole" in the retailer's sales/return policy. Nothing in any store's policy about anything states anything about reselling a returned item for a discounted price. That's a management decision, not a policy.
Justify your inquiries all you want, but basically that's what it is, a scam.

ok man, i'll call it a "loophole," you call it a "scam"... whatever makes you happy.

by the way:
pol·i·cy1

n. pl. pol·i·cies
1. A plan or course of action, as of a government, political party, or business, intended to influence and determine decisions, actions, and other matters

can we just drop it now?

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #90 of 107
Your reference to a policy as a plan or course of action is correct. You were looking for a loophole in a store's system which wasn't there. There's no store "policy" which dictates what they will do with returned product, nor a consumer's option to purchase or repurchase a returned item. However each store has a system in reference to how they deal with returned items.
Face it, you wanted to cheat the system, or policy, or however you choose to phrase it.
Why don't you look up "scam" while you're at it.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back