Deal on iRiver LPlayer 4GB - $50 @ NewEgg
Nov 20, 2008 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bigmike34

Head-Fier
And Free Shipping.

Two weeks ago this player was $99, then the price drop set it at $70, and for the next couple of days you can snag it for $50. I've been needing a mp3 player for a while, but the things that make me scoff @ $99 aren't so big at $49.

Anyone had any experience with this player? I've read the review at ABI as well as Cnet and a couple other places and they're up & down. The major con seems to be that the d-click can be non responsive in that it takes a couple clicks at times to register your selection. 4GB for $50, i'll take it.

Link Ends 11/23

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 2
If anyone is interested, about an hour in, first impressions:

The video is actually pretty good. The screen is small & vibrant but I used to watch the occasional clip on my old H320 (first mp3 player and what a standard it set) so 2" is ample. Plan on transferring the season finale of True Blood later to see how that goes.

The player's navigation is really simple and straightforward. Once you make notice of the pressure to press the edges, you'll rarely have it not register. My only complaint so far is the sorting of music. It's not alphanumeric, and you can't go Artist > Album > Song like i used to when I had a Zune80. I'm Ok with it because I'm planning to listen by album or workout playlists anyway, but if it was a larger capacity player it'd definitely be a drawback. It'll actually probably bother me more as I add more music, but i'm used to carrying around my whole 80+ gig library with me so I'm having a whole attitude change with a flash player.

Sound wise, I'm not an audiophile but I think the player sounds fantastic. I compared the LPlayer and my PC (Asus Xonar DX soundcard, Vista) using my Denon D1001 headphones and heard zero difference on normal eq. All of my music is EAC ripped VBR 0, 1 or 2 mp3s. I don't have any good buds right now (just horrible Koss Plugs & the pack-in buds) but I plan on getting Yuin OK3s ($59 + free Fio amp at Head-Direct) and i'm sure the Lplayer will sound just as great. The pack-in buds sound anemic, but at least they're loud.

The different EQs are a little hard for me to distinguish (aside from the conspicuous Rock EQ which adds a ton of warmth) but definitely change the sound. Theres also a 5-band user EQ (that helps almost make the plugs listenable). WOW can be interesting to mess around with but not for listening to for any real length of time.

Bass is solid, Treble is good too. If I had to say, I'd label the sound as pretty neutral. You can A-B, as well as set the ff/rw speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back