DEAL ALERT: Sony Hybrids (EP-EX10A) Ear Tips
Jun 9, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I want to make clear that these aren't made by Sony but are exactly the same in looks, feel, quality, comfort and sound for me. I did a comparison on my eQ-7 and TF10 and they seem exactly the same as original Sony hybrids.

They fit well too - nice and tight on my eQ-7 and TF10. Bass is noticably stronger with my eQ-7 (compared to bi-flange silicone).

I think all the things people say about hybrids are true - snugness of foam and durability of silicone. Before now, it was the price (as I'd have to buy 3 pairs of the 'wrong' size with each pair) that stopped me...

These are much cheaper and most importantly, you can choose sizes for each pair.
It's a guy with an eBay store, basically - "lostearbuds". He's in the US but shipping is cheap and quick (I'm in the UK). He also sells a lot of other ear tips but I have no experience with them.
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/lostearbuds

Just search for "sony" or "ep-ex10a"

I calculated that I could buy 18 pairs (9 pairs + 9 pairs) in my choice of sizes for less that the price of 1 Sony mixed set.

You can buy 3 pairs in any size for a few dollars. (If this listing isn't available, give it a few hours, he'll put it up soon - I only recomended it yesterday).

SHORT VERSION:
Sony hybrids (tips) available in ANY size mix at a very good price.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 30
I bought a set of these from that seller and although I know they're fakes, I can hardly tell the difference between them and the real thing when I have them in my ears.

Long story short, until Sony wises up and allows me to purchase one size of Hybrids for 10 bucks instead of paying that much for sizes I don't need, I'll be buying his Sony Hybrid clones when I need replacements.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
'fakes' isn't the right word. They are sold as compatible, not Sony products.

They are sold as being the Sony EP-EX10A which they are not. The "fake" word is definitely right.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 30
I wouldn't exactly consider this a deal alert. This seller has been known to sell sony hybrid fakes (or whatever you want to call it) for a while now.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 30
eq-7 plus sony hybird is good match, and the only one tips I feel satisfied with SQ and bass quantity. Speaking of eq-7, the stock tips are pretty crappy, I won't be surprised about hearing complaint of thin and bleak with stock tips, in fact no matter which size I was using, I can't get a tight seal even everything seems fine until I opened my jig and found the seal was not enough

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 30
interesting i live in the US so this is great!
So you say this is EXACTLY like the hybrids? I never tried hybrids but everyone always said how good they were. But i hated the fact that it was in different sizes. I used the medium tips that came with my westone 3 and medium comply, so should i get these in medium?

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 30
If I remember correctly the real Sony come in 4 sizes (only use the green ones). Which size are those . L,M,S or M,S,XS ?? are the color code matching? Will they be EXACTLY the same size??

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
If I remember correctly the real Sony come in 4 sizes (only use the green ones). Which size are those . L,M,S or M,S,XS ?? are the color code matching? Will they be EXACTLY the same size??

Yeah, they'll be the same size. I have genuine Sony Hybrids and the fakes with me to compare and they are almost completely identical.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 30
Uruha, try Shure black foams because hybrids wo;n't fit.

Hybrids fit IEMs/earphones with wider nozzles, like SF10, TF10, IE8 eQ-7 etc.
They don't fit SE520, UM2, UM3x, W3, SM3 etc.

If Shure olives (without modding) fit then hybrids won't, basically.

____

Colour coding is the same. Size is the same. Quality and sound seem identical.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
So if i use medium sized comply tips/medium W3 silicon tips, should i also get the mediums from this guy?

I use the Westone 3 with medium grey silicone and the Green/medium Sony tip was just the perfect size for my ear canal (but we have different shape so it my not be the case for you). And just in case, the sony tips don't fit on the Westone 3 but they are great on the FX500.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 30
aameerp, i was afraid it wont fit because W3 has such a small nozzle...
but zenpunk, you said it fits? was there a mod you did?
I have UE SF5PRO so i guess i could put it on that if it doesnt fit.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 30
Uruha, just tried hybrids on UM1 - they're way too loose and and they fall off. Also remember that tips need tp be tight so they don't get stuck in your ear.

Try the black Shure foams, seriously. They're the most similar tips (to hybrids) that I've used and they can last quite a long time.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 30
I guess ill give the olives a try when i find a deal on them. they are expensive! But i heard they last longer than Complys, which i love. Would you say they are more comfy?
Ill be getting me this deal for my SF5Pro. thanks aameerp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back