DEAL ALERT-Ipod 5 Generation $140
Aug 23, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #76 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, for some reason I cannot Rockbox it. I'm getting an error message that the iPod cannot be opened by the Rockbox loader app.

Oh well, I'll just run it normally (with ALAC files). Still not a bad price for something to carry around *a bunch* of lossless albums and have near reference quality (with an LOD and amp).

Have you ever installed Rockbox before? Are you using the installation utility? Are you sure you have the Ipod drive letter selected correctly? I have Rockboxed mine, plus 3 other people's that got theirs from Buy.com in the past 2 weeks. We had no problems getting them Rockboxed.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever installed Rockbox before? Are you using the installation utility? Are you sure you have the Ipod drive letter selected correctly? I have Rockboxed mine, plus 3 other people's that got theirs from Buy.com in the past 2 weeks. We had no problems getting them Rockboxed.

The issue is I'm on OS X and Rockbox doesn't play well with OS X b/c the iPod needs to be Windows formatted. Lame.

I did format it Windows but then still couldn't get it to work, so gave up.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue is I'm on OS X and Rockbox doesn't play well with OS X b/c the iPod needs to be Windows formatted. Lame.

I did format it Windows but then still couldn't get it to work, so gave up.

Ahhh. ok, can't help with OS X.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #79 of 101
I Rockboxed and now I cant turn the thing off when Im in the apple software....the only way I can turn it off is to reload Rockbox and then turn it off.
kind of a bummer because I use the apple software for movies....
I read a ton of people have this problem with the ipods....tried all the listed fixes I could find....reset my ipod several times.....still wont shut off.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #80 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Rockboxed and now I cant turn the thing off when Im in the apple software....the only way I can turn it off is to reload Rockbox and then turn it off.
kind of a bummer because I use the apple software for movies....
I read a ton of people have this problem with the ipods....tried all the listed fixes I could find....reset my ipod several times.....still wont shut off.

Do you mean that it won't goto sleep? I don't think the iPod itself has an 'off'.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you hold the play for a few seconds it turns off, then to prevent turning it on you lock the unit.

I think that's the same thing as sleep mode. If you go to Settings and then Main Menu and turn on the Sleep function so that it's on the Main screen, then you can scroll down to 'sleep' to that too.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #83 of 101
so.....if you have Rockbox and....its a dual bootable system.....you cant boot back to Rockbox if you cant shut it down in the apple software....
When I originally Rockboxed it I could switch back and forth....but now it wont shut down in apple so if I switch to apple I cant get back to Rockbox....
But... If I reload rock box, I can shut it off from there no problem, just not in the apple firmware.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #84 of 101
BTW, I'm now pretty sure these come with a new battery. I've been playing mine a few hours and the battery has not drained hardly at all playing lossless files. It seems to be lasting longer than I would expect if it was a used battery.

All in all, I'm quite happy with this deal even though I hate Buy.com based on a past bad experience with them.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #85 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.....if you have Rockbox and....its a dual bootable system.....you cant boot back to Rockbox if you cant shut it down in the apple software....
When I originally Rockboxed it I could switch back and forth....but now it wont shut down in apple so if I switch to apple I cant get back to Rockbox....
But... If I reload rock box, I can shut it off from there no problem, just not in the apple firmware.

What happens if you hold the Menu and Select buttons down for at least 15 seconds while booted in Apple Firmware?

We have 4 total of these running for the past 3 weeks and zero problems, they all work the same. Occasionally they won't boot immediately when pressing Menu and Select, but holding for about 3-5 seconds turns them on.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #86 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens if you hold the Menu and Select buttons down for at least 15 seconds while booted in Apple Firmware?

We have 4 total of these running for the past 3 weeks and zero problems, they all work the same. Occasionally they won't boot immediately when pressing Menu and Select, but holding for about 3-5 seconds turns them on.

Hoowa, that works, now I can go back and forth between Rockbox and Apple again.
Thank you!

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #90 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Crow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, just wow.

Got my iPod but the Rockbox site is down. I'm so damn unlucky.

The server is under attack, so be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back