Dead silent SS amp for IEMs and full-size headphones w/ additional features (up to 600USD)?
May 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RustA

Aka: Banned member MHOE/MetalHOE.
Need to find a suitable match for my StageDAC and phones (HD800 and MX-980 at the moment)... That said, it's quite difficult to find good affordable amps for the job, especially considering the fact that I need a completely noise-free amplification.

Requirements:
 - gain switch
 - absolutely noise/hiss free
 - 230v and europlug compatible
 - some additional features (crossfeed, gentle bass boost switch, active balanced ground driving or similar)
 - RCA inputs
 - 1/4 headphone out

Good to have:
 - great instrument separation, imaging and soundstage
 - neutral FR

Suitable candidates:
 - Meier Corda Classic
 - Objective2 desktop w/ DIY mods

Not considering:
 - iCAN (crossfeed not suitable for neutral to bright headphones, from different reports)
 - Meier Corda Concerto (too short in features in comparison to Classic)

Have done a research already but I feel that people on head-fi could help me to find out more suitable amps... Therefore, I appreciate any suggestion!

Thank you all in advance :)

May 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Bump :)

May 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 5
have you considered using resistive impedance adapters or output transformers (my preference) with your existing amps?

May 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Soloist SL meets almost all your requirements. 

It doesn't have bass boost or crossfeed functions though, Burson wants to get you closer to the real sound. 

May 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 5
After reading more on the Classic vs Concerto and checking the specs, I realised Classic is pretty much a Concerto with additional side features I don't need and slightly different capacitors.

As Concerto provides Active balanced ground driving (no recabling needed + suitable for IEMs/earbuds as well), digital volume control, and neutral + hiss free amplification, it's perfectly what I was looking for.

I already have StageDAC and therefore I simply don't need the improved crossfeed of Classic (StageDAC has more advanced crossfeed, more customisable), or a tonal balance switch. Additional pair of RCA inputs is also redundant for me. That said, for someone who is using different DAC than StageDAC or Daccord, I would advise to go for Classic instead.

==============================

Other candidates I found interesting (but less than Concerto/Classic in the end):
 - Audio GD NFB-6
 - Firestone Bobby amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back