Dead neutral and totally transparent DAC-amp?
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

diamondears

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you honestly think is? Wouldn't make HD-800 brighter, nor make the LCD-3 darker, but totally transparently reproduces the intended recording...anybody?

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 12
What do you honestly think is? Wouldn't make HD-800 brighter, nor make the LCD-3 darker, but totally transparently reproduces the intended recording...anybody?

That's what everyone who's ever had to explain to anyone here that "an amp is an amplifier, not a colorifier - it has to amplify the input signal" (sic) would try to say (ditto playback hardware that doesn't mess up the source info), but of course subjectivists will always counter with relativistic claims of "if it sounds good to one's ears."

And then there's how oversampling a signal way beyond its native sampling frequency actually adds distortion, and some people started rewiring their CDPs to bypass the oversampling chips or designing DACs that didn't have any, and the result is usually similar to analogue without the rice krispies sound effects.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 12
That's what everyone who's ever had to explain to anyone here that "an amp is an amplifier, not a colorifier - it has to amplify the input signal" (sic) would try to say (ditto playback hardware that doesn't mess up the source info), but of course subjectivists will always counter with relativistic claims of "if it sounds good to one's ears."

And then there's how oversampling a signal way beyond its native sampling frequency actually adds distortion, and some people started rewiring their CDPs to bypass the oversampling chips or designing DACs that didn't have any, and the result is usually similar to analogue without the rice krispies sound effects.

What DAC and amp do you think is like that?

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 12
What DAC and amp do you think is like that?

A lot of DACs and amps are like that. The problem is that in some cases the output stage on some DACs are designed to deliver what people expect of certain DAC chips (ie so a manufacturer can sell a "warm" DAC to those who are looking for such, and use a WM874x to help market it); with amps, given they're at least of minimum or preferably comparable quality (note that in some cases you won't even get to a level of high THD but still sound different, it's likely that one of them is just distorting sooner than the other on a given headphone, and it's not like they'll distort in the same way.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 12
A lot of DACs and amps are like that. The problem is that in some cases the output stage on some DACs are designed to deliver what people expect of certain DAC chips (ie so a manufacturer can sell a "warm" DAC to those who are looking for such, and use a WM874x to help market it); with amps, given they're at least of minimum or preferably comparable quality (note that in some cases you won't even get to a level of high THD but still sound different, it's likely that one of them is just distorting sooner than the other on a given headphone, and it's not like they'll distort in the same way.

Can you recommend a specific model? Of all the DACs and amps that I've tested, my current rig is the best in transparency. I'm looking for an integrated DAC-amp that could even be better.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 12
The Audio-GDs seems reasonably priced. But not sure if they're transparent and neutral. Can't demo them.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Can you recommend a specific model? Of all the DACs and amps that I've tested, my current rig is the best in transparency. I'm looking for an integrated DAC-amp that could even be better.

AudioGD NFB-11 - you can go louder vs the O2 with a bit less distortion, problem is how much louder is already too loud for you (or even from an objective standpoint regarding hearing damage).

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 12
AudioGD NFB-11 - you can go louder vs the O2 with a bit less distortion, problem is how much louder is already too loud for you (or even from an objective standpoint regarding hearing damage).

O2 loudness is more than enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion on NFB-11.

I'm quite surprised almost nobody recommends and post here.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm quite surprised almost nobody recommends and post here.

There are still people here who think that amps should color the sound, or at the very least, the source should. I'm not of the camp that believes all digital sources sound the same as my ears tell me that isn't the case, but some sources people went nuts over for  "audiophile sound" at times sounded dark and borderline nasal to me.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 12
There are still people here who think that amps should color the sound, or at the very least, the source should. I'm not of the camp that believes all digital sources sound the same as my ears tell me that isn't the case, but some sources people went nuts over for  "audiophile sound" at times sounded dark and borderline nasal to me.

Can't agree more with you. They're hearing a correction or tweak in the sound so that they'll like their HPs, IMO. Like correcting an error with another one.

I like transparent and neutral amps, and if I want a different sound I'll play with digital filters in the DAC (this is why I like DACs with multiple filters) or buy another HP with the different sound I like.

Hearing the intended recording should be the priority.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 12
The most neutral setup I ever plugged into was a Lavry DA11 + headamp GS-1.  It was at a meet and I forget who's setup it was, but the owner had a couple TOTL audio technica cans at the table.  So I think it was setup for low impedance loads.  The AT cans fit my head really funny, and I couldn't get a good seal around my ears.  So I grabbed my RS1 and plugged that in, it was a real eye opener... the first time ever plugging this can into something this clean and transparent.  My first time ever hearing the distortion and chamber harmonic resonance of the RS1... by itself with little "influence" of the amp.  As I stepped back down to earth (so to speak) It also showed me just how good my discrete buffer PPA build is... for what little $$ I spent on it.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 12
For me it's the Headroom Micro Amp + Micro DAC. The amp part needs the Astrodyne power supply to be at it's best.
It's the only amp i've had that in 4 years has been equally good with everything. We're talking about maybe a dozen or more headphones.

I tried to find an amp that's equally as transparent and the only thing that came close is the Ifi Can. It wasn't the O2, but that gets very close for the cheap price.

Basically when you connect something up to the Micro Amp it's only as good as the source. I can connect up a crappy Clip+ and it sounds like a Clip+ with subtle improvements.

I was thinking I probably won't be able to find anything better to my ears under $600.

Oh and this thing is equally good with both the HD-650 and Q701 (and my K400). This is actually harder than you'd think. The O2, Vali, Asgard and lots of others couldn't manage this.
Ifi Ican could, but that thing has some design faults and is very very slightly too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back