Dead DT990 Pro's (250 ohm)
Jun 27, 2020 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davo-cc

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of these which I bought quite a few years ago, they were sitting in a storage crate for two and a half years so when they died they'd really only had about a year's use (or thereabouts).

The right speaker was rattling a little so I tapped the right headphone unit - this had previously shaken loose whatever was impacting the speaker before but the last time it stopped working all together. After sitting idle in a box for some time I finally plucked up the courage to take them apart - I'm testing the speakers with a multimeter, the left side registers signal but the right side doesn't register anything; I took it off its cable and am testing the pins, left to right, left to centre and right to centre are all registering nothing.

I just wanted to confirm - is this speaker properly dead? I love the sound and comfort of these cans but reliability isn't at all good (I have a pair of DT770's too which have plastics cracking in crucial places). I'm not sure if Beyer is using less than adequate quality components or they're masters of planned obsolescence at this point; it's a real shame because I do love these cans for extended wear.

Can anyone confirm this diagnoisis? If so - is there a good source for finding the right speaker cheaply? I don't want to spend much on these as my faith in them has been rather shaken by these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back