DDDac Auridux Stax electrostat amp?
Aug 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The measurements sure do look impressive! Anyone try building something similar, especially around the ECC99 tubes?

http://www.dddac.de/

It's a good design and an easy build but it's nothing spectacular. It should be fine with the Lambdas but I doubt it has the muscle to drive the tougher loads.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a good design and an easy build but it's nothing spectacular. It should be fine with the Lambdas but I doubt it has the muscle to drive the tougher loads.

Not to worry, as I have no plans for OII
smily_headphones1.gif
HE60 should work fine with the amp, I presume..

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to worry, as I have no plans for OII
smily_headphones1.gif
HE60 should work fine with the amp, I presume..

Since almost anything can power the He60 this amp certainly can. They do like power but the limited bass response makes them an easy load.

The schematic is much more complicated then it needs to be due to the measurement functions, separate PSU, DC heaters and the delay for the power supply. The bias supply is also way too complicated for it's own good and you can always use AC heaters, a combined amp/psu and a separate switch for the HV lines so the heaters are turned on before.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since almost anything can power the He60 this amp certainly can. They do like power but the limited bass response makes them an easy load.

Of course, you want to have close to no bass rolloff in the amp to not make things any worse. The Auridux should be better than any of Stax's cheaper offerings, but doesn't seem from the schematic to be anything out of this world.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, you want to have close to no bass rolloff in the amp to not make things any worse. The Auridux should be better than any of Stax's cheaper offerings, but doesn't seem from the schematic to be anything out of this world.

An amp should never make things worse so it should provide enough current at all frequencies. There is much less capacitance to push against so the amp has to struggle a lot less then with the Stax stuff but more power is always better.

I'm sure that a well thought out amp with good parts should sound very nice indeed. So, shall I add this one to the build cue?
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes please do!

It is pretty far down on the list but I'll buy some ECC99's next time I order some parts. I think the Gilmore DC amp Justin posted in the Stax thread is next since I just bought some 0A2's.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 10
The Gilmore amp has a lot going for it, plenty of tubes, no caps in the signal path and the KGSS/Blue Hawaii power supply works for it.

The HE60 needs an amp that is transparent but not brutally honest. There are some slight issues in the lower treble that need to be catered to but just about any amp will be great with them. They aren't power hogs so that's a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back