DCS LINA system, any thoughts?
Aug 25, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't have this set-up.

But I had a 45 minute audition using Susvara, LCD-5 and Utopia.

It really requires the full set-up. I didn't think the clock would add much. But it's a noticeable difference. A $10000 difference? Could one argue budget isn't a concern if you're looking into buying this system?

Initial thoughts:

1. Yes, it's better as a headphone system than DCS Bartok + amp (the Ring DAC Is newer and the DCS rep believes better). The clock adds a richness and musicality to the sound that is instantly perceptible, though in some tracks more than others. It also opens up the soundstage . Without the clock, the sound seems more sterile. I would not buy it without the clock. The system isn't worth it without it.

2. Timing and attack are top of the line. Seriously.

3. It is extremely revealing. The clarity is astounding. To the point where vocals I enjoy seemed a little 'too' revealing. Like what a 4k TV does. You get used to it but sometimes you do notice individual pores and imperfections you didn't really care for. Thus an appropriate source recording is even more important. It is not as forgiving.

4. Soundstage isn't as wide as some may want in their system. However, the detail retrieval is astounding. The sound is neutral and precise. Which is how I remember DCS with my limited experience auditioning it.

5. They pair exceedingly well with Susvara. And is one system that drives Susvara. very, very well. Outside of a NAIM speaker set-up at a similar price point (or more). Wow. Not a tone out of place. I enjoyed them with the LCD-5 although haven't made up my mind as to the synergy yet. I need more time with it.

Is it worth upgrading if you have a Chord TT2 ; Naim Uniti Atom or similar priced system? Is it better? My analogy is comparing a super second Bordeaux to a first growth. The balance, poise, elegance and integration is a step up. As are the clarity of flavours. There is more going on. But it takes time to get to their potential (you may still need to get your headphone/cable pair right to your own sonic preferences) One can argue they would be quite happy drinking their super second Bordeaux. If you can afford to drink a first growth as a daily ; then you can probably afford the LINA.

I'm typing this listening to a Sp2000 -> Cayin C9 with Oriolus Trailii and I'm more than content.

If you're an Australia, I'm drinking a Woodlands 2017 Chloe Anne cabernet tonight. Absolutely lovely cooler climage vintage that would quite happily rival equivalent priced Cabernet anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back