dCS Elgar Plus DAC vs dCS Scarlatti DAC?
Jul 27, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Patrick82

Banned
What are the differences between these two DACs? Is the Scarlatti smoother which gives more low-level detail? Or is it also clearer with more surface detail? It has separate power supplies which makes it smoother, but I don't care about that because I like the edgy flavor. Does the Scarlatti have something else which makes it sound clearer?

If the Elgar Plus is edgier than Scarlatti I could just tweak the internals with ERS Paper and get the same performance as Scarlatti for free. The Elgar Plus also has ST Optical connection while the Scarlatti only has Toslink. I'm not able to use electrical connection because of noise problems which makes it sound edgy and harsh. It needs to be optical.

Is Elgar Plus better than Scarlatti in my system?

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
The Scarlatti manual is up on their site now. It says that my Premier Power Plant with MultiWave is not recommended, but for Elgar Plus it doesn't say anything about it in the manual. I'm scared that the Scarlatti will break. I guess I will keep the Elgar and mutilate it with ERS Paper and poor solder joints inside. I believe Elgar is better than Scarlatti because of MultiWave of Premier Power Plant.

A year ago I read something in a forum about Scarlatti and MultiWave of Power Plant, it was not covered by warranty and that was the reason I purchased Elgar in the first place.
Perhaps the Scarlatti uses smaller and more sensitive power supplies inside? Elgar has a bigger power supply shared with everything which gives AC noise inside? I believe that ERS Paper inside the chassis will compensate for that edginess.

I have put my Elgar Plus on Audiogon but nobody has wanted to buy, I think they have seen my videos, I'm not allowed to post them because they have nudity involved. So I will not sell the Elgar, I will mutilate it instead. I can't wait.

Quote:

Mains Regenerators
We do not recommend the use of mains regenerators. However, if you do wish to use a mains regenerator with variable voltage and frequency, we recommend that you set the voltage to match your local voltage and the frequency to either 50Hz or 60Hz ONLY. !
Damage caused to your Scarlatti DAC by misuse of a mains regenerator or by a malfunctioning mains regenerator is not covered by the warranty.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted on a Swedish audio forum but they said I'm not welcome there, I don't know why.

Have you tried Gizmodo ?

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Personally I don't think being untouched by the owner's bodily fluids is a good selling point, in fact that Audigon ad was very creepy.
icon10.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Ok, I sold the Elgar Plus DAC now for almost half price of my ad. I don't think it's a good idea to start mutilating gear in mint condition. I will keep mutilating the stuff I have already mutilated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back