DCP-70 - is this the Denon sound?
Jun 11, 2003 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
Just recieved a DCP-70. It's an early 90's model I believe, incredibly bulky, remote control, digital out. Hooked it up via the line out to the big rig, and while I don't want to judge too hastily, it's always a bad sign if you feel the urge to check whether you didn't forget to turn on the tweeter amp (which is unlikely, they run 24/7).
I like a little laid back, but this is more like muffled...
So the question goes out to the Denon experts, do they all do this, or do I just need too look for a 150
wink.gif
?

Jun 11, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 9
I got my first Denon a couple of months ago and it has remain on the 'shelf' since I first heard it. I went thru the same thing also. The sound is muffled with a great deal of bass. Not balanced at all. The ones we have are the two lowest Denons in the chain. I can't speak for the DCP-150, but I was very disappointed just as you are. doug

Jun 11, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Next stop: Headphone out. Plugged in the HD600s and the Denon just showed me the finger, but it seems to get along quite well with 7506s...Really well.

Jun 12, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 9
I used my Grados with the Denon......but it just so happens that I have a pair of 7506's. What would you do without a pair of them. I will give it a try. thanx doug

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, don't expect a miracle, but somewhat forward and easy to drive phones seem a good match. That's why I would've thought maybe Grados might work too...

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 9
I tried my 7506's with the Denon. It was a little better but still really unbalanced. I think I actually prefer the Grados. The 7506's (being closed headphones) really brought out the bass and dark tonal quality of the Denon. I have the Optimus cd-3400 and I don't like that sound at all either. It seems the only sound I do like from portables is the old Sonys. The good thing is that I think the old Sony's have amazing sound quality. They are head and shoulders better than anything else I have listened to. I have a Denon DCM-360 in my home rig and that guy really sings. Denons home cd players are some of the best for the money. I have compared my old Sony portables (D-25-s, d-303) with my Denon home rig and the is not a big difference. The Denon has better detail and seperation but for musical enjoyment my old Sonys do a fine job. I don't find myself always graviating toward my Denon, which is a sure sign I am not dissatisfied with the sound from a piece of equipment. Most all of my headphone listening is thru my Sony portables. Now if only somebody can make an audiophile portable that is new. doug

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 9
I really enjoy both of these portables (D-25S, D-303). I was really lucky when I purchased both of them. I bought the d-25S from Silicon Salvage and have had no problems with it at all. I was also very lucky with the d-303. This was brand new, in the box, about a year ago on E-bay for $60. This player has also worked without problems. Both players are very handsome, but the d25 is the nicest player I have laid my eyes on. It has the fit a finish of an expensive piece of home equipment only downsized. It has an audiophile look to it. The d-303 feels like a battleship but looks like a portable player. As I have said in the other post there is not a big difference between my Denon home cd player and these. I also have an external Meta42 amp to drive these if I please, but I enjoy them both as much thru the headphone out.
There is a slight difference in sound between the two, and I must stress slight. The d-303 has a slight bit more resolution and a little tighter bass. The instruments in the soundstage are more defined and seperated. The soundstage is more expansive also. I must stress these are slight differences. One must be doing critical listening to notice these differences. Both players have the upper end slightly rolled off. There is no sparkle in the higher octaves. I have not heard a portable player that does this very well. This is the real kicker though, I find myself listening more to the d-25S than the D-303 because I find it more musical. Some people on this board really downplay the D25-S. I feel it has a lot to do with availability. As soon as the rumor started that this player was no longer available from Silicon Salvage the price on e-bay shot thru the roof. I think this player will start sounding a lot better when it becomes harder to find. Like Grado headphones the D-25s may not be the most accurate but it is SO musical. It is a toss up which one I like better. I must also note that most all of my listening has been with the Grado RS-1's. These two Sony players have given me the most enjoyment of all my audio equipment!! doug

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 9
The only Denons that are worth getting are the DCP-100 and DCP-150. I had DCP-70 a long time ago, was not impressed at all, so sold it right away. I also had the D-303, D-555, D-777, D-E900, D-25 and D-15 (sold all), like the D-303 best, but still sold it in favor of the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back