DC power cables
Jun 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tb311

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning on making a Y-splitter for one of the headroom power supplies and I was wondering if there are any special braids or insulation needed for regular DC power cables. I know there are some for AC power cables but are there any specific DC specs or can I use just a regular 3 wire braid? Also would the canare or mogami mic cables be ok to use if the power supply only supplies +/- 15V?

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 5
It may depend on the current also in addition to the voltage. So canare might not be so good. But yeah you can use regular ac power cable for dc power... twisted pair hookup also works but i prefer shielding....Make sure you tie the shield to ground of power supply and not connect the shield to amplifier ground.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Well the length of the splitter will only be about a foot. I also took a look at the current cable and its 20awg and there are only 3 conductors, red, black, and white. I don't see any shielding at all, just the black jacket. I have some left over canare and I was thinking about using that since it is shielded but its only 24awg. So now I'm thinking of just getting some regular 20awg wire and braiding it and put some techflex around it. Does using something like SPC or OFC have any effect on power or will any regular copper wire work fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back