DC offset spike?
Mar 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matt714

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

(not sure whether I'm in the right forum, if not please move)

A few days ago, I accidentally damaged one of the speakers of an audio system (Edifier S730), most probably because of a loud and high-pitched distortion (noise?) that happened when the system was connected or disconnected from my computer while turned on. 

The sound is difficult to describe, but one knowledgeable person I asked replied that it was a full volume DC offset spike. Is this the actual technical term? If so (or not) is there a way to prevent it in the future (besides being really, really, careful?) Electrical problem? The set was directly connected to a wall socket. However, the other is full of power bars connected to a computer, two routers, three monitors, and an external HDD. 

Regards.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Most solid state amps do not like to be "hot-plugged"... In other words power down completely before unplugging anything and conversely power up only after plugging in everything.

Could have been either a burst of AC or DC that cooked it, hard to say.

Strangely my cousin-in laws PC sound system does the same thing.  It goes CRAZY into weird thumps, pops and goes BOOM when RCA level plugs are disconnected.  One time he had a faulty RCA cable and it was intermittent contact between his sound card line out and the speaker/subwoofer amp.  All of a sudden the sub-sattelite system GOES CRAZY... Thumping and pulsing like it had a mind of its own.  It was LOUD too, whole back of his house was shaking.  The kids had paused their gaming session for lunch and everyone in the house was like What!!!??  Strange.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Asked everywhere else, and the sole advice I keep receiving is to be extra careful when plugging and unplugging. At least I asked an electrician, and it's not an electric problem with the house. Thanks all nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back