DC Meet impressions
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 59
Hello everyone, This is Craig Dewey, the store Manager of MyerEmco Audio Video in Clarendon. It was a pleasure meeting everyone. I had a great time listening to some fantastic equipment! I have found myself listening to headphones much more often now that I am in a smaller space with closer neighbors
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope everyone had a good time! I look foward to doing something like this again.

Thanks to all for going out in the snow, it was a really fun day.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #17 of 59
Dec 7, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDewey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, This is Craig Dewey, the store Manager of MyerEmco Audio Video in Clarendon. It was a pleasure meeting everyone. I had a great time listening to some fantastic equipment! I have found myself listening to headphones much more often now that I am in a smaller space with closer neighbors
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope everyone had a good time! I look foward to doing something like this again.

Thanks to all for going out in the snow, it was a really fun day.

MyerEmco A BIG thank you!!!!! Everyone in the store was so nice. Coffee, donuts and bagles were so thoughfull. Very enjoyable afternoon.

I did buy my B&W 703s from your store maybe 3 years ago. I am getting ready to upgrade. I know where I am going to shop when I get ready to buy!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MyerEmco A BIG thank you!!!!! Everyone in the store was so nice. Coffee, donuts and bagles were so thoughfull. Very enjoyable afternoon.

I did buy my B&W 703s from your store maybe 3 years ago. I am getting ready to upgrade. I know where I am going to shop when I get ready to buy!!!
beerchug.gif

Sorry I missed it, and the coffee and donuts!
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by TernItUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I missed it, and the coffee and donuts!
frown.gif

The louder the better, You could of gone into the secret room and blasted your ears with my HD 800!!!
wink.gif
The HD 800s do loud great!!!!

They were all nice people, I truley had a good time.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 59
Very leaky indeed, a touch worse than the K701 in this regard (which is saying a lot). Fortunately, they've got other nice things about them...

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 59
Hi guys,

(I'm the guy who came w/ the SR60's and was looking to upgrade)

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed meeting everyone and trying out the gear. It's really nice to be able to audition some of the higher end stuff that you can't normally find.

Ctemkin - Thanks for the info on the Art Tatum CD - definitely going to order this as a christmas gift to myself.

Overall I realized that I'll probably never get into the really high-end gear, as there's just not a major jump for me, but I definitely think it's worth jumping up maybe one more level.

Some impressions from the meet:

Sennheiser HD595's - Maybe my little amp just didn't have enough oomph, but I feel like the sennheiser sound, while nice, is just a little too neutral for me.

Sennheiser HD448 - For $100, I think these hidden gems are a great bargain. Just a bit uncomfortable for me.

Grado SR225 / 325i's - Nicer than my SR60's, but not drastically different. I particularly liked how smooth the highs were on the 325i's compared to the normal grado sound.

AKG k701 - Really really liked the sound of these. I should probably demo these with some more bass-heavy music though because a few people warned that they are on the light side. The few jazz tracks I listened too sounded fine to me, but I should probably try some top40/rap type stuff as well.

AKG k601 - Very similar to the 701, but IMO the treble was a little "tinny" and bass wasn't as extended. Seems like it's definitely worth spending a few more bucks for the 701. Regardless, a very good headphone.

A few questions:

- Any suggestions for an inexpensive DAC/Amp? A few people on the board have been recommending this little guy for under $100: HA NG27 USB Sound Card + Mini Headphone Amp - eBay (item 350240031937 end time Dec-12-09 03:42:35 PST)

Looks like it uses the PCM2702E DAC chip and the old OPA2134 chips for the amp ( seems like it's a standard META42 setup ).

- Any plans for another small meetup soon? I'd love to hear the following headphones: Denon AH-D2000, Beyer DT770 & DT880 and compare them to the k701 to ultimately decide on my next purchase.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by z28dreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG k701 - ...The few jazz tracks I listened too sounded fine to me, but I should probably try some top40/rap type stuff as well.

This is going to be ugly

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #27 of 59
I don't think I've heard anyone recommend the K701 for rap or hip hop. From everything I've read about the K701 too, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment listening to it at meets from killer amps and taking one home to listen with a not so killer amp.

I would be up for another meet sometime in the last winter or spring. But if Aman sells his K701, I don't know who else has one to bring. Also in the 4 meets I've been to, I think I've seen one DT770. I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear it. I own a DT880 250 ohm and last weekend's meet was the first one I've attended that didn't have a Denon, so they should be easy to get to a meet by requesting it.

I don't listen to a lot of rap or hip hop but I do has some. I think the Yamaha orthos do it well.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 59
To clarify, I don't listen to rap very much at all, but I'd just like to know that the headphones I pickup are fairly flexible.

I listen to a huge mix of stuff - blues, jazz, folk/acoustic, etc. But every now and then you need that guilty pleasure fix of some terrible top 40 song.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be up for another meet sometime in the last winter or spring. But if Aman sells his K701, I don't know who else has one to bring.

Well I plan to have a K702 by then
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by z28dreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To clarify, I don't listen to rap very much at all, but I'd just like to know that the headphones I pickup are fairly flexible.

I listen to a huge mix of stuff - blues, jazz, folk/acoustic, etc. But every now and then you need that guilty pleasure fix of some terrible top 40 song.

The problem with that is so much pop is poorly recorded that you may not want a good headphone for it. I like Norah Jones and I saw that markmax had her latest CD which I hadn't heard yet. I tried to listen to it on 4N6's system with the HD800s and it lasted for 15 seconds. It was totally unlistenable. It's probably listenable with most of my gear but I'm now leary of buying it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I plan to have a K702 by then
wink.gif

cool. I'm working on 2 amps and have the parts for 2 more so I should have a lot of stuff to hear next time too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back