DC/MD/VA Mini-Meet for 10/7/2006@1pm
Oct 17, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 20
sounds like I need to take a trip to DC and get in on the AT lovin
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well, at least a little part of me (my MAD
smily_headphones1.gif
) was there to enjoy it.

I really do need to try out a good pair of AT's as all I've tried is a pair of blue-takked A900's and those simply didn't cut it. Although that wasn't with an amp and all I really compared it to was my DT770-80's for gaming and it lost that battle easily (IMO of course).

Are the high-end AT cans good for rock/metal? SK138 you said you preferred the Alessandro sound of all the other brands and thought the AT sound was a great blend. What music do you listen to? Did you prefer the Alessandro MS Pros to the RS-1s and how do your W5000's compare to both?

The only complaint I have with my RS-1s with MAD is sometimes the highs still make my ears hurt a bit, but I'm not quite sure who to place blame on, whether it be the source, cables, amp, headphones, cd/recording itself, etc etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 20
TiTaN you should come down to DC area in the Spring. It's beautiful here
wink.gif

I preferred the MS-Pro sound to all other cans (including RS1) before I heard ATH-A900LTD. To me, A900LTD sounded best from Senn house and Grado sounds. It was a "perfect" hybrid between the American and the European sounds. Since my initial introduction to AT can with A900LTD, I was lusting after higher AT sound which naturally led me to W5000. IMO, it offered everthing MS-Pro had (minus some treble magic) and has the depth and wide sound stage as Senn HD650/Zu but without the veil. It's very transparent can with very sweet mids and one of the deepest quality bass slam I heard among any of my previous cans.

I am very happy with my current setup. I am done with head-fi gear swapping and upgrading. I will stay with W5000 and A900LTD for very long time. I really get lost in my music with W5000 like I never experience with my other cans. After all, that was my goal in this hobby. I just wished I had tried the AT cans earlier and saved some major $$$....but that's not the Head-Fi tradition...it's about the (long) journey and lost $$$
lambda.gif
Oh well...it's been fun.

I listen to everything excecpt rap and country. I mostly prefer music with female vocals; trance vocals, jazz vocals, pop, rock, classical opera, etc..

MAD amp is pretty transparent to source. If your source is bad..it will just amplify that more. You might want to tube role...geez..I gave you enough tubes to last until the next Ice Age
wink.gif

btw, the MS-Pro that I had was vintage...and I do think it sounds little different than the current productions MS-Pro. MS2i was also very sweet too
wink.gif
I much prefer the Alessandro (relaxed) sound than Grado sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
sounds like I need to take a trip to DC and get in on the AT lovin
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well, at least a little part of me (my MAD
smily_headphones1.gif
) was there to enjoy it.

I really do need to try out a good pair of AT's as all I've tried is a pair of blue-takked A900's and those simply didn't cut it. Although that wasn't with an amp and all I really compared it to was my DT770-80's for gaming and it lost that battle easily (IMO of course).

Are the high-end AT cans good for rock/metal? SK138 you said you preferred the Alessandro sound of all the other brands and thought the AT sound was a great blend. What music do you listen to? Did you prefer the Alessandro MS Pros to the RS-1s and how do your W5000's compare to both?

The only complaint I have with my RS-1s with MAD is sometimes the highs still make my ears hurt a bit, but I'm not quite sure who to place blame on, whether it be the source, cables, amp, headphones, cd/recording itself, etc etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 20
as the atlanta meet gets closer i was reading and found this thread. On thing about AT drivers should be noted, Fitz took his W5000s and modded them, basicaly changing the dampening materials amoung other things, and changed the character of the phone to something thats pretty awsome. I'm not going to start shouting that its any kind of L3k killer, but some impressions will be found after our meet, jan the 13th.
-greg

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 20
Can you elaborate on the dampening material Fitz used? Is it denser or less dense material? I would assuming it's denser material for more bass impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as the atlanta meet gets closer i was reading and found this thread. On thing about AT drivers should be noted, Fitz took his W5000s and modded them, basicaly changing the dampening materials amoung other things, and changed the character of the phone to something thats pretty awsome. I'm not going to start shouting that its any kind of L3k killer, but some impressions will be found after our meet, jan the 13th.
-greg

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate on the dampening material Fitz used? Is it denser or less dense material? I would assuming it's denser material for more bass impact.

The end result was still using the stock dampening material, but a few other changes instead. I've already gone over the mods with SK138, but I should have a guide with pics up sometime soon in case there's anybody else who's interested.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Fitz
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back