DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Sunday, October 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #16 of 197
I can't help but to think of Tyll's headphone and amp shootout where at least four guests came with different preferences of variously priced gear. The most expensive does not have to be the best :/

It doesn't help that I'm young, and their market is undoubtedly focused on the older individual looking to buy speakers, not headphones. I just want an honest conversation about audio.

They are kind enough to let me bring in my own laptop and gear though, and they are very hospitable. Don't hate the player, hate the game I guess.

Anyway I can't wait to go to this October meet up and get into the nitty gritty with you all.

You asked what tube amplifier I would bring. But what I'm more excited for you to hear is the second generation of one of the cheap amplifiers from Tyll's shootout. The same amplifier was also at the last meet, along with the little brother of the Moon you heard at Tyson's. And the meet before that, we had the Moon that you went to Tyson's to hear. Hopefully you'll have some things to listen to at the meet.

But just use your ears...as you mentioned, there were four results from four contestants in the Summer shoot out. Everyone hears differently, and we're all free to hear and like what we like. Hopefully you'll hear a few things that pique your further interest 
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 197
You asked what tube amplifier I would bring. But what I'm more excited for you to hear is the second generation of one of the cheap amplifiers from Tyll's shootout. The same amplifier was also at the last meet, along with the little brother of the Moon you heard at Tyson's. And the meet before that, we had the Moon that you went to Tyson's to hear. Hopefully you'll have some things to listen to at the meet.

But just use your ears...as you mentioned, there were four results from four contestants in the Summer shoot out. Everyone hears differently, and we're all free to hear and like what we like. Hopefully you'll hear a few things that pique your further interest :cool:  

I can't wait! I want to compare and find out what sounds best to my own ears. That's what I like about the headphone community here. I've been lurking awhile on the forums and notice how down-to-earth you all are. Personal preference rules here.

The speaker sellers tell me what is best. Not what they like best or what I could like best. This moon 430 HA is the best period. :neutral_face:

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 197
I can't wait! I want to compare and find out what sounds best to my own ears. That's what I like about the headphone community here. I've been lurking awhile on the forums and notice how down-to-earth you all are. Personal preference rules here.

The speaker sellers tell me what is best. Not what they like best or what I could like best. This moon 430 HA is the best period. :neutral_face:

They are also salesman at a business and at the end of the day would rather make that top dollar product go out the door. Audio is way too subjective and I cant speak for the Moon or what it compares to considering I haven't heard it. Worst case you got to listen to the amp in person and can use that comparison for further research.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #20 of 197
If I make it to this meet I'll probably bring the DNA Sonett 2 + QB-9 DSD. I may sub with the Stratus if it's delivered in time.

They are also salesman at a business and at the end of the day would rather make that top dollar product go out the door. Audio is way too subjective and I cant speak for the Moon or what it compares to considering I haven't heard it. Worst case you got to listen to the amp in person and can use that comparison for further research.

Yeah, it's a business first and foremost. I've had some good conversations with various proprietors / salesman at audio shops. I've tried to convince Tom at Gifted Listener in Centreville to do more with headphones but he doesn't see the money in it. For starters, he doesn't sell all that many headphones and related equipment to begin with (in his words the numbers he can count on one hand). Couple that with the fact that most of the companies in Head-Fi bypass the traditional distributor / dealer route. It's easy to see why you won't find a shop with a broad selection of head-fi.

By the way, I think the Moon Neo 430HA is one of the finest pieces of audio equipment I've listened to - but only fully balanced (input to output) with a high-caliber external DAC.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 197
  If I make it to this meet I'll probably bring the DNA Sonett 2 + QB-9 DSD. I may sub with the Stratus if it's delivered in time.

Yeah, it's a business first and foremost. I've had some good conversations with various proprietors / salesman at audio shops. I've tried to convince Tom at Gifted Listener in Centreville to do more with headphones but he doesn't see the money in it. For starters, he doesn't sell all that many headphones and related equipment to begin with (in his words the numbers he can count on one hand). Couple that with the fact that most of the companies in Head-Fi bypass the traditional distributor / dealer route. It's easy to see why you won't find a shop with a broad selection of head-fi.

By the way, I think the Moon Neo 430HA is one of the finest pieces of audio equipment I've listened to - but only fully balanced (input to output) with a high-caliber external DAC.

Yea, the 430HA as definitely great sounding. I just didn't have anything to compare it to in the store, and I was listening to music I wasn't familiar with. He said I could come back in with my equipment (I only brought my HD 800 S today), so when my Rag and Mimby arrive in the mail I can bring them for a comparison.

It makes sense how they deal with (or don't deal with) headphone gear. They are a business after all :) Totally understandable. It's incredible how expensive the speaker gear can get! We walked into a room full of DACs ranging from $10k into the 20's or 30's. That's just for a DAC!

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 197
If the meet's pushed to a Thanksgiving timeframe (so I'll be back from college for break), then I'll be able to bring my Sony NW-ZX2, Spiral Ear SE-5-way Ultimate CIEMs, and possibly the Mass Kobo 404 amp if I can get my hands on it by then.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 197
  It's incredible how expensive the speaker gear can get!

It's quickly happening to headphones as well. All the prices for the TOTL are rapidly approaching the stratosphere. Pretty soon $1k $2k for a headphone will only buy you 'mid-fi'.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 197
  Does anyone have a Little Dot tube amp or a Woo Audio tube amp? Just curious what you guys thought of those brands.

Listened to most of the Woo amps, and couldn't find any that worked for me. Mostly issues with unpleasant or overbearing coloration. WA22 is ok, but thin-sounding and lacking liveliness compared to better tube amps. Plus, they want to soak you on the tube upgrades.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 197

Listened to most of the Woo amps, and couldn't find any that worked for me. Mostly issues with unpleasant or overbearing coloration. WA22 is ok, but thin-sounding and lacking liveliness compared to better tube amps. Plus, they want to soak you on the tube upgrades.

I guess I'll try the crack in October!

How does it compare to the Schiit Valhalla, Lyr, or Mjolnir? I had the Mjolnir briefly actually, but returned it because I didn't immediately love it. It's a shame because I probably just need different tubes other than the stock ones in order to judge the amp.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 197

I guess I'll try the crack in October!

How does it compare to the Schiit Valhalla, Lyr, or Mjolnir? I had the Mjolnir briefly actually, but returned it because I didn't immediately love it. It's a shame because I probably just need different tubes other than the stock ones in order to judge the amp.

Valhalla--nice sounding OTL amp. Haven't A/Bed directly with Crack.

Lyr- Not a favorite--smallish soundstage, and doesn't have the dynamics in better (more expensive) amps. It sounds good with some cans, but a very picky amp for pairing.

Tube Mjolnir - haven't auditioned, but had the original Mjolnir.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #29 of 197

Valhalla--nice sounding OTL amp. Haven't A/Bed directly with Crack.

Lyr- Not a favorite--smallish soundstage, and doesn't have the dynamics in better (more expensive) amps. It sounds good with some cans, but a very picky amp for pairing.

Tube Mjolnir - haven't auditioned, but had the original Mjolnir.

Ever try the Darkvoice 336SE?

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #30 of 197
Schiit tube amplifiers (skipping the Valhalla for now) - there is something fundamental you probably found out from your purchase of the Mjolnir 2 (though I have not heard it, and would still like to). The original tube on these amplifiers is not very good. It's not terrible, but there is nothing particularly exciting about these either. People have frequently replaced the stock with Mullard or Telefunken tubes, or something else that makes sense per the specific sound the person is after. But what you start from is a hybrid amplifier, where a lot of the goodness of the sound comes from the non-tube part of the amplifier.

I found this truth most recently with my Vali 2. It is a really good value in a first listen to a tube. It'll run Grado and planar, both of which the original Vali would have basically died trying to play. And it sounds quite good with any headphone that is not as brutally revealing as the HD800. But I wanted more. So I eventually put in a tube costing the same as the Vali 2. And how much improvement did I get? It was the most crisp, best sound I had ever heard from the setup. But it did not reach the level of my existing higher grade tube amplifiers. Jason does a really excellent job, but you also have to understand the difference between hybrid, SET, OTL, etc.

The Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson (again, research - not personal experience. I do not own it, so I've not been able to try swapping the tube myself) is similarly a hybrid tube amplifier. And the majority of the goodness is in the amplifier. The stock tube can be replaced, but you're not going to get as much of a jump in sound quality by changing the tube. If you are interested in Cavalli and tubes, your best option is the Liquid Glass. And I don't even know how its architecture can be described. But it supposedly takes on the characteristics of the tube, yet without putting the load and impedance issues directly onto the tube.

And back to the Valhalla 2 - this is an excellent tube amplifier. I would have kept it, if it weren't for some local members pushing the idea of DNA amplifiers. I was able to locate a DNA Sonett for not too much, though still twice the cost of the Valhalla. And it completely changed my perspective on a lot of amplifiers. When I said earlier I wanted more from the Vali 2, it was this amplifier that I had in mind. Versus the Valhalla, it highlighted what for my ears was a small, extra edge in the sound. Listening to the Pink Floyd album Animals, I heard the perception of an aggressive strumming sound at the beginning. I heard, well, nothing from the DNA. It wasn't fat - it wasn't thin. It just presented the sound, to my ears, as it was originally stored on the disc. I hope you get a chance to hear the DNA Stratus, though it too would be difficult to buy, other than used. I eventually sold all my tubes, including the DNA Sonett, and my solid state Cavalli Liquid Carbon, replacing these with my MicroZOTL2. So I hope you get a chance to hear it too. It is like an OTL, but does something, probably not unlike the Glass, to take the load and impedance issues away from the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back