Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2016 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 197

Barry S

1000+ Head-Fier
Date : Sunday, October 16, 2016
Time: 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

George Mason Regional Library
George Mason Meeting Room (on your left right after the entrance)
7001 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003

Hi Everyone,

Ok, it's been a while since we've had a proper meet. Unfortunately, CAF wasn't able to come through with a room for a summer meet. The end of July is coming and that means that the October slots will be opening up at the library. I'll be up at midnight on the 31st, and at the ready to snag us a space. Looking forward to seeing everyone and seeking advice as I reconfigure my system.
smily_headphones1.gif

As always, everyone is welcome and you can bring any equipment you like, but you don't need to bring gear.

Please post the list of the gear you can bring, and don't forget your extension cords, power strips, and adapters.

Meet Rules

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. If you can have the five songs listed below on your system--it'll help everyone audition unfamiliar gear.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 197
I live in Northern Virginia! I'll meet up at George Mason library for sure :) Anyone bringing a tube amp? I'm in the market for those so I'd love to hear what you guys have.

My headphones to bring:
• Sennheiser HD 800 S
• Sennheiser HD 650
• Audio Technica ATH-M50x

My DAC's and amps:
• O2 DAC/amp (JDS Labs)
• Schiit Modi 2 Uber
• Schiit Modi Multibit
• Schiit Ragnarok

Did you say we should have five songs in particular? Or do you mean five songs of our choosing?

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 197
  I live in Northern Virginia! I'll meet up at GMU library for sure :) Anyone bringing a tube amp? I'm in the market for those so I'd love to hear what you guys have.

My headphones to bring:
• Sennheiser HD 800 S
• Sennheiser HD 650
• Audio Technica ATH-M50x

My DAC's and amps:
• O2 DAC/amp (JDS Labs)
• Schiit Modi 2 Uber
• Schiit Modi Multibit
• Schiit Ragnarok

Did you say we should have five songs in particular? Or do you mean five songs of our choosing?

Oops--that was left over from the last meet--was trying (unsuccessfully) to get the same 5 songs on every system. I can bring my Crack+Speedball if that would be in the running for you. There are at least two other Crack owners in the group. Very interested in the Modi Multibit and another audition of the HD800S.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 197
Listening to the Modi Multibit into Vali right now - I guess the Vali is a tube 
tongue.gif

I definitely plan to bring my MicroZOTL2, now with Mullard for input and 1952 NOS Sylvania output tubes. But I think your Crack is probably what he's seeking to hear. And I'll be sure to bring HD800S and HE-1000, though these seem to have been eclipsed of late.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 197
  Oops--that was left over from the last meet--was trying (unsuccessfully) to get the same 5 songs on every system. I can bring my Crack+Speedball if that would be in the running for you. There are at least two other Crack owners in the group. Very interested in the Modi Multibit and another audition of the HD800S.

I am interested in trying the crack+speedball, and I will definitely have to ask you guys about the DIY process. I love the idea of DIY but I don't know what's really involved!

I'm willing to try any tube amps though :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 197
  Listening to the Modi Multibit into Vali right now - I guess the Vali is a tube 
tongue.gif

I definitely plan to bring my MicroZOTL2, now with Mullard for input and 1952 NOS Sylvania output tubes. But I think your Crack is probably what he's seeking to hear. And I'll be sure to bring HD800S and HE-1000, though these seem to have been eclipsed of late.

WTH has eclipsed the HD800S and HE-1000? Take a break from head-fi for a few months and everything has changed. Need to rethink my complete system because of changes in my life and also because head-fi is surprisingly unsatisfying when you stick with the same gear--no matter how good. MicroZOTL2 always welcome--love that amp.

I am interested in trying the crack+speedball, and I will definitely have to ask you guys about the DIY process. I love the idea of DIY but I don't know what's really involved!

I'm willing to try any tube amps though :)

Ok, will bring the Crack. It's a straightforward and enjoyable kit. Great instructions and amazing community to help with any issues. Plays well with the HD650, and we'll see about the HD800S. Not particularly good with the HD800, but maybe it's better with the S.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 197
  WTH has eclipsed the HD800S and HE-1000? Take a break from head-fi for a few months and everything has changed. Need to rethink my complete system because of changes in my life and also because head-fi is surprisingly unsatisfying when you stick with the same gear--no matter how good. MicroZOTL2 always welcome--love that amp.

A suspicion at this point, but there is most definitely a disturbance (or disruption) in the headphone world:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/disruption-headphone-world

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 197

Ok, will bring the Crack. It's a straightforward and enjoyable kit. Great instructions and amazing community to help with any issues. Plays well with the HD650, and we'll see about the HD800S. Not particularly good with the HD800, but maybe it's better with the S.

Thank you :) I look forward to seeing how the Crack matches up with the 650 and especially the 800 S. I'm glad the kit is straightforward! So does that mean when you order it, there isn't any soldering involved? You know what, I can find the instructions haha. What is this thing called google???

Tyll is one of my favorite reviewers, but who knows--the Russian mob may have their hooks in him.
ph34r.gif
Let's try and get all of these cans at the meet.

I saw this post too. He updated the wall of fame as well. Interesting to think about, but I can't get any headphones after the 800 S big purchase :p

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 197
Soldering is required, but learning to solder takes 10-15 minutes of practice. Most of it is having a decent iron, correct sized tip, good solder, flux pen, solder braid--and taking your time.  Apple Music is fine--that's what I'll have too--gets you 95% of the way there. At a noisy meet, a hi res file is overkill.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 197
  Soldering is required, but learning to solder takes 10-15 minutes of practice. Most of it is having a decent iron, correct sized tip, good solder, flux pen, solder braid--and taking your time.  Apple Music is fine--that's what I'll have too--gets you 95% of the way there. At a noisy meet, a hi res file is overkill.

Sounds simple enough :) I like DIY projects as long as I know where to start.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 197
I think I should be able to make it to this one!

I wouldn't have a ton of stuff to bring, just my Alpha Primes, Lyr 2 w/ EH 6922s and Modi 2U (probably soon to be multibit). 

And @tkddans soldering isn't very difficult to learn, and the Crack seems like a good intro to electronics DIY. The best part about soldering is that if theres a good connection it doesnt matter too much how pretty it looks :p just all about having some decent equipment

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #15 of 197
I think I should be able to make it to this one!

I wouldn't have a ton of stuff to bring, just my Alpha Primes, Lyr 2 w/ EH 6922s and Modi 2U (probably soon to be multibit). 

And @tkddans
 soldering isn't very difficult to learn, and the Crack seems like a good intro to electronics DIY. The best part about soldering is that if theres a good connection it doesnt matter too much how pretty it looks :p just all about having some decent equipment

Very reassuring that everyone says crack is no difficulty :) Thank you

By the way, I'm at an audio shop in the Tysons area right now (Evolution Audio and Video). I feel like these speaker system dealers are in a different world from head-fi people. Everything must be the most expensive. Everything is complicated and yet dwindled down to "but isn't it the best audio you've heard?" Right now I'm listening to their only headphone amp, the Moon 430 HA.

The fact that they paired this system with a noise cancelling set of headphones kind of scares me. these guys seem to know a lot about what they are selling, but I can't escape feeling like headphones just aren't taken seriously here. I am also uncomfortable with any one amp being referred to as "the best." No thought for the good sound coming out of other high end amps? I can't help but to think of Tyll's headphone and amp shootout where at least four guests came with different preferences of variously priced gear. The most expensive does not have to be the best :/

It doesn't help that I'm young, and their market is undoubtedly focused on the older individual looking to buy speakers, not headphones. I just want an honest conversation about audio.

They are kind enough to let me bring in my own laptop and gear though, and they are very hospitable. Don't hate the player, hate the game I guess.

Anyway I can't wait to go to this October meet up and get into the nitty gritty with you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back