DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 297

Barry S

1000+ Head-Fier
Saturday, February 27
12:00 Noon to 4:00 PM
George Mason Regional Library
George Mason Meeting Room (on your left right after the entrance)
7001 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA 22003

Hi Everyone,

It's time for another DC-area head-fi meet! As always, everyone is welcome and you can bring any equipment you like, but you don't need to bring gear.

Please post the list of the gear you can bring, and don't forget your extension cords, power strips, and adapters.

Let's try something new this meet--maybe we can all have a selection of the same five songs available on our systems, to make it easier to compare gear. I'm nominating Take Five by Dave Brubeck, one of the classic audiophile songs. You guys can pick the rest, but I strongly suggest picking music that's generally common. I'll go through the thread and put the most popular selections in the list.

Meet Rules

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. If you can have the five songs listed below on your system--it'll help everyone audition unfamiliar gear.

Common Music Selections

1) Take Five - Dave Brubeck

2) ?

3) ?

4) ?

5) ?

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 297
Haha. Love #1. Nice to see you today.

#2 Love Songs for Robots by Patrick Watson?

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 297
If this were a speaker meet, we'd all be listening to Also sprach Zarathustra and watching our pants flap in the low frequency breeze 
biggrin.gif

But I note that both @gandhisfist and I had Toccata and Fugue in D minor on our DAPs. So that's my pick!

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 297
I'll be there with a (or two, because why not?) MicroZOTL2.0 and a few headphones that I'll confirm later (some neat developments going on with Linear Tube Audio and Urban HiFi). Actually, except for knowing I'll have at least one MicroZOTL2.0, for various reasons I'm not sure which other components I'll be able to bring. So I'll post again, and do the song thing too, when I do that next post. 

Thanks for organizing this. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 297
If things go according to plan (now that I've written that, they won't) then I'll be bringing HD 600's / Audeze LCD-XC + DNA Sonett 2 + Ayre C-5xeMP to the meet. I may bring a PC + Meridian Explorer 2 as a source if MQA gets off the ground in the next, oh, month or so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for test tracks, I suggest something from Blue Train since I have five different versions of the same recording - the 1997 reissue (CD), the RVG Edition (CD), the HDtracks 24/192 digital download burned to DVD-A, the Blue Note SACD, and the Analogue Productions dual-layer SACD / CD. Might take the whole meet to compare them all. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 297
Too hard to read, so I reorganized. Pile of silver Schiit is entry level, but still quite good (IHMO):

1. Schiit Vali 2
  2. Schiit Asgard 2
  3. Schiit Bifrost 4490

Pile of black (and blue) Schiit costs a little more, and is stuff I really like
tongue.gif
:

1. Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
  2. DNA Sonett
  3. Schiit Gungnir Multibit

And headphones, the first few around $100, $200, $300 to show how good it can get at low price, followed by a few I really like:

1. Grado SR60i (reverse quarter mod)
  2. AKG K7XX
  3. HiFiMan HE400i (new connector style, balanced cable)
  4. HiFiMan HE1000
  5. Sennheiser HD650 (original vintage, balanced cable)
  6. Sennheiser HD800
  7. Sennheiser HD800S

I'll be wearing an HD 800 S because I expect a few things to be at the meet that I'd like to hear 
wink_face.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 297
I will do my best to be there pending work travel. I will have all my usual suspects there along with the recently added Sennheiser hd580 and 800 and an audio-technica r70x.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 297
Hope to be there....scheduling... :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 297
Count me in. I'll hopefully have my BHSE and DNA Stratus by the time the meet rolls around, and I'll bring the Yggy again. SR-007A w/ Spritzer mod, HD 800 with mods, and maybe the HE-6. I've got a EC Black Widow, but that may not be ready in time.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 297

Ok, but what about bringing some DECENT gear too?!

Gotta go big or go home, man. Give it another year or two, I should be able to get a Studio to bring to meets.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 297

Ok, but what about bringing some DECENT gear too?!

I know, I was expecting at least the new Orpheus hooked up to the dCS Vivaldi or at least a Viva Egoista with the totaldac d1-twelve. Oh well, maybe next meet.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back