dBpoweramp removes tags when converting tracks
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Simple question:

I have found that dBpoweramp removes tags from tracks when I convert them.
mad.gif
Is something that I could change that would make it refrain from doing so? It's going to be a huge pain if I have to re-tag/re-rip everything.

Thank you!

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 11
What format were you converting from? What format were you converting to?

I converted an MP3 file to Flac. The tags were transferred to the Flac file but some J. River Media Center Tags were not copied to the Flac file.

Bill

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterThanEver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What format were you converting from? What format were you converting to?

I converted an MP3 file to Flac. The tags were transferred to the Flac file but some J. River Media Center Tags were not copied to the Flac file.

Bill

From FLAC to APE, since I just seemed to figure out that it would save me a lot of memory space on my S9 (duh
redface.gif
).

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 11
I don't think you will gain a lot of space by converting flac to ape. Besides ape is probably a lot heavier on the cpu/battery.
You can also convert to flac -8 (best compression), you might gain a little space too while keeping the cpu/battery the same.

Anyway, you can also try foobar2000 for the conversion, it will copy the tags. However it doesn't have ape support by default so you will also need to download the ape/monkey audio plugin.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slogra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you will gain a lot of space by converting flac to ape. Besides ape is probably a lot heavier on the cpu/battery.
You can also convert to flac -8 (best compression), you might gain a little space too while keeping the cpu/battery the same.

Anyway, you can also try foobar2000 for the conversion, it will copy the tags. However it doesn't have ape support by default so you will also need to download the ape/monkey audio plugin.

Hm... Well, I converted a .flac -8 track which was 20.6 MB to .ape at the "insane" level, and it was shrunken to an amazing 2.19 MB... I'm not overly worried about the battery life and performance unless it's a horribly drastic change. Nonetheless, I can't seem to find the conversion codec for Foobar... Could I perhaps have a link?

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm... Well, I converted a .flac -8 track which was 20.6 MB to .ape at the "insane" level, and it was shrunken to an amazing 2.19 MB... I'm not overly worried about the battery life and performance unless it's a horribly drastic change. Nonetheless, I can't seem to find the conversion codec for Foobar... Could I perhaps have a link?

Then you certainly should be worried about sound quality (and audio data)!
Cause no way there is that major difference between FLAC and Monkey's Audio encoding the exact same audio data.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you certainly should be worried about sound quality (and audio data)!
Cause no way there is that major difference between FLAC and Monkey's Audio encoding the exact same audio data.

Yes, you're right. I'm quite unobservant apparently. Only 30 seconds of the original track was converted to make the 2MB file. Heh heh heh...
redface.gif
Never mind.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 11
^ Perhaps that is the reason tags did not transfer as well? The transcoding process did not compete successfully

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 11
30 seconds is the exact length if a DSP effect 'Maximum Length' has been added.

Also an effect might have been added to the conversion to clear the ID Tags.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 11
^ mrspoon as in the dBpoweramp developer?

Welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 11
what did you use to tag the files in the first place? i read somewhere that if you use itunes to tag, the tags don't even remain with the tagged files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back