dBpoweramp Music Converter R12
Feb 1, 2007 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Quicken

Head-Fier
A new version of dBpoweramp (dBpoweramp Music Converter R12) has been released today. The publishers make the following claim:

Quote:

Secure & Fast CD Ripping -
surely secure & fast are not mutually compatible?, dBpoweramp throws away the rule book and achieves the impossible!, not just secure, but the Securest, and the Fastest at the same time. Illustrate are proud to be the designers behind AccurateRip, helping people around the world verify their rips with certainty.

They also present some data to back up these claims, comparing secure ripping with EAC. All Media Guide (AMG) is used as a meta data provider, and compatibility of the software is claimed for all versions of Windows from 98 to Vista. There are three versions: Free, Powerpack+mp3 licence ($18), and Reference ($28):

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Looks interesting, but you don't get secure ripping in the free version.

Cheers,
Q

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
much better than EAC.

Could you elaborate on this? In you opinion, how is this program better than EAC for ripping?

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hence i'll stick with the runner up, EAC.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 8
For ripping, I will be sticking with EAC for the moment too, though I may well buy the reference version of dBpoweramp when I build a new PC in the spring. I think it does represent the first genuine advance over EAC, but EAC remains the king of the free rippers for accuracy. I have installed the free version of dBpoweramp anyway, and plan to use it for conversion but not ripping.

Cheers,
Q

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A new version of dBpoweramp (dBpoweramp Music Converter R12) has been released today. The publishers make the following claim:

They also present some data to back up these claims, comparing secure ripping with EAC. All Media Guide (AMG) is used as a meta data provider, and compatibility of the software is claimed for all versions of Windows from 98 to Vista. There are three versions: Free, Powerpack+mp3 licence ($18), and Reference ($28):

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Cheers,
Q

I hope they "fixed" whatever bug they had with Flac conversion. For example Flac files created by dbPoweramp will not play on some machines, such as Meizu M6, when Flac files created anywhere else plays fine.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they "fixed" whatever bug they had with Flac conversion. For example Flac files created by dbPoweramp will not play on some machines, such as Meizu M6, when Flac files created anywhere else plays fine.

I'm not sure about this, but they do say they have upgraded their codecs as follows:

Quote:

All popular codecs updated and enhanced for R12:
FLAC 1.1.3
Monkeys Audio v3.99
Fraunhofer IIS v4.0.3
Lame v3.97
Musepack SV7 mppenc 1.16
Ogg v1.1.3 Vorbis v1.1.2
Wavpack v4.4
Windows Media Audio Pro v10

If it was a known and acknowledged bug, it seems likely they have addressed it in this release. I never used dMC to convert into flac myself. I only used dMC to convert from flac into lossy formats for my portable (which always worked fine ime).

Cheers,
Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back