dblab ppa finally... FINISHED!!! (56k warning)
Nov 1, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
you do realise "a few" month lead time is very long?
tongue.gif

Hey, I own a Gilmore Lite, you don't have to tell me about long lead times!
icon10.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #32 of 46
Whoa, so many replies!
biggrin.gif
Here I go...

Quote:

wow. nice stuff doobie!!! goes well on top of a modded pc case. Like say maybe this one : http://bit-tech.net/article/135/

Whoa, that's a pretty crazy case job.
eek.gif
Hmm... if the PPA could look something like that...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

dude did you do like a worklog or something cos it'll be like..AWESOME!

What do you mean by a worklog?

Quote:

What are the switches for? Power, Bass-Boost, High/Low Gain?

Yup. G=Gain, P=Power, B=Bass

Quote:

You... you plugged a stock power cable into that masterpiece?

I need to upgrade my $25 MagWires ICs before I spend more money on power cables!
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, how much of a difference will a power cord make on a low-power headphone amplifier?

Quote:

The front bezel actually looks like brushed aluminum.

It wasn't intended, but yeah it really came out nice, faux metal!

Quote:

well doob now you gotta upgrade your dbuffers to make it sing as beautiful as it looks .... and do our mods from here : http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91449

This is interesting, but I have Glassman buffers, not the Triad... I shoud look into this further. Thanks for the info!

Quote:

Can I ask what kind of interconnects those are?

They're $25 MagWires Nakeds.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I want one, how much?

This was actually commissioned over summer by a fellow head-fier, and it is really a one time job as the next reply correctly guessed. It is WAY too time consuming to do more than one of these - just the chassis assewmbly and wiring took 7~8 hours... not including the actual PCB board assembly and acrylic parts fabrication (this alone takes hours...). Also, since I did 3+ iterations of this model to smooth out any kinks with the chassis design, the prototyping costs came out to be very very high. Although the buyer paid quite a bit for the PPA, I still actually ended up spending more to build it than I got paid. I don't consider it a loss though, it was great fun and now I have a template to work my future amps from, including an identical PPA for myself.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Did I see Blackgates being use there? What's your impression on it? Your amp deserve better powercord and did you have the STEPS built in? Regulars shot will be nice too!

No, they're Panasonic FMs. They are very nice, if the FCs are better than Cerafines (which many consider as so), these are definately better than the Cerafines.
wink.gif
The amp does have STEPS built in.

Quote:

What are the part numbers of the Neutrik headphone jacks? From what retailer are they available?

They're the tabless combo jacks, NJ9FI-S-0. No US distributor had tabless combos in stock, but Neutrik USA did - so I got a nearby Neutrik distributor and ordered 20 of them.
biggrin.gif
If you want some I can sell a few to you, I definately won't be using up the rest anytime soon...

Anyway, I'm actually in a meeting for a 15 page project due tomorrow...
frown.gif
After spending all my Friday and Saturday on the amp I am now completely crammed with work... It's over 2 AM and I'm still not done with a lot more work left to do... and a meeting at 8 AM this coming morning... aahh... Sorry, but no more pictures until tomorrow...
frown.gif

Anyway... Thanks for all your kind responses!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Now back to work...

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Although the buyer paid quite a bit for the PPA, I still actually ended up spending more to build it than I got paid. I don't consider it a loss though, it was great fun and now I have a template to work my future amps from, including an identical PPA for myself.
biggrin.gif

You should build and sell a few more of these to recoop some of those costs.
wink.gif

~KS

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #34 of 46
I think what he meant by worklog was a step by step guide of the assembly process, so that someone else could do it.

Oh yeah, you really should consider making more of these, even if the price is high just for the time, i'm sure there would be buyers like myself.

Nov 1, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
I think what he meant by worklog was a step by step guide of the assembly process, so that someone else could do it.

Oh yeah, you really should consider making more of these, even if the price is high just for the time, i'm sure there would be buyers like myself.

yeap, as in a log for your work
smily_headphones1.gif
pictures of the process, the mistakes you made, how to do something easier (doh - homer) etc.

especially the switches with the backlight!

Nov 1, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Anyway, I'm actually in a meeting for a 15 page project due tomorrow...
frown.gif

Hi doobooloo,

In your profile you wrote that you're a student. It's not of my business but I hope you are choosing something related to design. If not, I truly think that it will be a big loss for that field....

Amicalement

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #39 of 46
It's a very nice looking amp indeed! I'm currently looking for one but too bad you won't be selling it or future examples of it
frown.gif

Either way, I hope to hear your/someone's review of how it sounds.

On other matters; you've probably heard this many times before but everytime I come across your avatar, I get knocked off my feet! Who is she? Indonesian celebrity?

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
It's a very nice looking amp indeed! I'm currently looking for one but too bad you won't be selling it or future examples of it
frown.gif

On other matters; you've probably heard this many times before but everytime I come across your avatar, I get knocked off my feet! Who is she? Indonesian celebrity?

i think if you're really interested i think you can PM him and work something out. but im quite sure its gonna cost you and take a while for him to make. but i'd say its worth it!

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #41 of 46
doosik, my congrats again.
This amp is one of the most attractive and seductive I've seen, you have skills and good taste
wink.gif

I know you'd have quite a few of askings if you project and build custom made amps like this.

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag

asking the same to myself when i step on Puddlegum member avatar

Nov 16, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #45 of 46
Sort of a late reply, but here goes:

Quote:

You should build and sell a few more of these to recoop some of those costs.

Maybe, once I graduate and have a job.
tongue.gif

Quote:

If there is enough demand for it then I could work on some sort of a guide to doing such a chassis, I guess. I may make the design (CAD files) public as well, if people intend to build them for non-profit purposes.

Quote:

In your profile you wrote that you're a student. It's not of my business but I hope you are choosing something related to design. If not, I truly think that it will be a big loss for that field....

Thanks, you have no idea how much what you just said means to me. I really wanted to pursue architecture or design but coming from a lower income family I am realizing that I can't afford to go through a few more years of expensive grad school only to come out earning like $20K a year if I get a job. I'm already taking out $30K as a loan every year to attend school. I guess I'm learning that reality isn't all that ideal after all and I have to live around it. Hopefully I'll work hard enough in the long run to make enough money to give my kids a chance to pursue design and still have a comfortable life if that's where their passions lie.

Quote:

Well, a fellow head-fier received his a week or two ago. I don't know if he's going to post a review though...

Quote:

You know, it's funny, I've received PMs on geekier forums asking me if that's really me, and if so then he's in love. Haha.
tongue.gif
Well, I guess I am in no position to laugh since I also do think she's quite a charming model... Anyway, she's a Korean actress/model Han Ji-Min.

Well, here's another one:

kjs1052u_73.jpg

Anyhoooo......

Quote:

Do you have any plan to build a new amp(not PPA)?

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the hp-100a in a similar style.

Quote:

Could you post some specs? What kind of case is that? Maybe some **** of the inside?

The case is a custom acrylic case that was designed from scratch and made only of acrylic boards and some fastening material (no glue). There isn't really anything special about the PPA given that all sorts of crazy things have already been done with the PPA by many skilled DIYers here, but the adjustable bass boost is one feature worth noting that IIRC hasn't really been done a lot before. And I love the feature!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back