dBa levels, Hearing loss and measurements
Mar 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TommyNavara

100+ Head-Fier
Hoya fellow headfier's!

Today I am here with a new question:

Some days ago, i was on the train, and a guy beside me was struggling his ears with iPod > amplifier > apple earpods REALLY loud, probably totally overdriven. I was able to hear the songs one or two meters away from him.

Obviously he was not on pain or something like that, and i wonder if this practice is really bad as medical professional says.

If yes, how we can determine if the volume is at "non harmful" levels?

How can we measure the actual sound pressure that we blast on our ears?

Because health matter, guys.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Some of us were just discussing this on another thread, this tool was mentioned:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImtyLnNpcmEuc291bmQiXQ

There are also instruments specifically for measuring decibels, but I don't know how easy they are to get.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 8
bump

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 8
I had one of my friends who was going through hearing loss in both his ears. He used to use hear iPod at full volume and is now using hearing aids to even hear the normal sound. Loud sound hurts so the sound intensity needs to be checked before we use it for long time.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 8
The dude on the train had an amp on the stock iPod headphones? What a hoss.

In other news, last time my hearing was tested, I already had some hearing loss... I was a sad lonely kid in middle school with my sweet 15gb 3rd gen iPod blasting music everyday. Luckily I stopped all that because I was afraid of going deaf or getting tinnitus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back