DB Meter Help ...
Aug 26, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a DB meter to monitore my listening level.

I've been looking for some models but even the a bit more expensive ones seems to cover only from 35Hz to 8KHz. Is this normal?

Can you guys recommend me some DB meters, so i can compare the specs of them with the ones i've been looking at?

Help me out here guys. I want take care of my ears from now on, but for that i want to be sure that the DB meter is really measuring all that my headphones are playing ...

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 4
There is little audio energy outside of the band you mention. Not to say there is no musical content there.....but the sort of energy that does damage would be concentrated in that range.

Realistically, you don't need to measure broadband energy to determine a max safe setting. Personally, I would use some sine wave test tones throughout that range, recorded at full scale (0 dBFS), check the playback levels, and use that info to decide what a reasonable level setting is on your amp. Might be good idea to use the HeadRoom FR graphs for your cans to check to see where the dips are in your cans and avoid using tones in those regions.

I wouldn't invest in anything beyond the basic RS meters for what you are doing--the accuracy is good enough for your purposes.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Can you link me something then ... ?
I'm quite happy to read that i won't have to spend a lot of money here ...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back