dB Isolation, sealed vs. sound canceling
Feb 14, 2006 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fbxpup

New Head-Fier
What is the dB isolation of the HD-25 and how does it compare to the noise canceling headphones. I have been trying to convert a couple of Bose “tin can” users to real headphones nirvana and I have let them use my HD-25 and HD555 cans. They like the sound quality but are stuck on the isolation thing. I have not yet tried the Bose headphones, but I feel my HD-25 with music playing at very low volume levels block out just about everything. If the difference between noise canceling and regular sealed headphones is not that great then the extra power required for the canceling feature, and the fact that the sound is synthesized makes me believe noise canceling is more of a marketing hype then a true advantage. Any thoughts on the matter?

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Noise Cancelling does work better than just plain closed 'phones but you can just recommend In-Ear-Monitors to others. Portable sound--with great isolation-- and a much smaller sacrifice of sound quality compared to noise cancelling earphones. Plus there are reports of dizziness/headaches/high-pitched sounds/pressure w/noise cancellers.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 3
I prefer using HD-25-1's on airplanes rather than Noise Cancelling headphones. They do not provide the same level of noise "reduction", but they do a remarkably effective job, and sound SO much better that any noise cancelling phones I have tried (I tried Senn PXC-250 and Bose QC2). I am on airplanes almost every week. For short (less than 2 hour) trips I use the HD25's, for longer flights I use IEM's (Westone UM2's), since they reduce noise better than any noise-cancelling headphone that exists. If you really want to cut the noise a lot, an IEM is the only truly effective way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back