Dave Matthews Band
May 8, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Ob3ron
join the club
tongue.gif
Was it the female vocals that turned you off from it? They just irk me!
rolleyes.gif

Hey now!!
mad.gif
tongue.gif
I like that song! (Or maybe I started to like it after I realized how good the W100's made it sound w/ the wonderful sounding guitar strings). Perhaps those W100's are a bit too forgiving, aye?
rolleyes.gif
On the other hand, maybe I liked that song all along . . .

Hey, who wants to join the "I Like the song STAY (WASTING TIME)" club?
wink.gif

May 8, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Ob3ron
join the club
tongue.gif
Was it the female vocals that turned you off from it? They just irk me!
rolleyes.gif

It's everything, lots of cheese factor to the song. To be honest, i hate when he uses female backup vocals, their distracting from the songs.

May 8, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 26
yeah i agree that female vocals don't work in stay and also don't drink the water, but when alanis morisette sings a verse in spoon on btcs, it sounds really nice.

the cool thing about their new album is that they have no guest musicians. just dmb.

i first bought luther college because i heard the guitar work was amazing. tim reynolds is awesome. now after buying crash and btcs (my fave) i realize dave's music is really unique.

May 11, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #19 of 26
Have any of you listened to "Live At Luther College" - it's just Dave and Tim Reynolds on their guitars. I love it. Most dislike it though. Most people would rather listen to the whole band.

One of my favourite DMB songs would have to be "Christmas Song". The acoustic version of #41 on the above-mentioned album is a close runner-up.

May 11, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 26
I like "Live at Luther College" as well. At first I didn't like it much, because it didn't feature the whole band, but it grew on me so much that it's now one of my favorites. The guitar work on that album really is great.

May 11, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Have any of you listened to "Live At Luther College" - it's just Dave and Tim Reynolds on their guitars. I love it. Most dislike it though. Most people would rather listen to the whole band.

One of my favourite DMB songs would have to be "Christmas Song". The acoustic version of #41 on the above-mentioned album is a close runner-up.

Amen. I thought I was going to get to the end of the thread without anyone mentioning Live at Luther College. I think I own just about every Dave Matthews album, and LLC is far and away my favorite. In fact it is one of my favorite albums period.

The combination of Matthews and Reynolds is amazing. "Christmas Song" is probably my favorite track as well, though the versions of "Cry Freedom", "#41", "Jimi Thing", and "Granny" also stand out. Essential Matthews, as far as I'm concerned.

LLC is lacking the overall "punch" that the larger band brings to the mix (the horns and strings aren't present), and the music is certainly less full as a result. LLC more than compensates with its intimacy, and humor, and the raw vocals and musicanship of Matthews and Reynolds. If you've got a decent set of headphones, this album set really deserves a listen.

May 12, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #22 of 26
I went with their live stuff. DMB is a live band in my opinion, meaning that, hearing them play live is when it's best to be listening. Anyway, I also listen to a lot of shows they've done by tapers at all of their shows. You can get more information on that stuff over at www.etree.org

May 13, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 26
I have to say that Dancing Nancies on the first Redrocks disk is one of my favorite. Enjoying it on my 580's right now! And I agree that their live stuff outshines most of their studio work. I've just gotten into etree, and it looks like I'll have lots of listening to get done. The one thing I miss is the ability to see them play in smaller venues, these stadium deals aren't the same for me.

May 15, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 26
I've never really got into Dave Matthews because for some reason I seem only to like the songs that all their fans I know don't like: "Too Much," "So Much to Say," "Don't Drink the Water," especially. I really dislike "Crash into Me" and everything I've heard off Everyday People.

Can any of you who are familiar with most of their music give me any suggestions of other songs I might like based on the above? Any whole albums or recordings?

Thanks.

kerelybonto

May 16, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #26 of 26
Haha, okay, that's a good sign then. Most of the people to which I was referring are, well, not people whose musical taste I respect anyway, but they claim to be fans.

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back