Dave Matthews Band - Live from Beacon Theatre in NY (on FUSE Network)
Jun 2, 2009 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I'm watching it right now. Good concert...looks like the band is rounding into shape nicely without Leroi Moore.

That said, by GOD, the sonics are AWFUL!! I think that they must either be digital clipping like nothing I've ever heard, or have some sort of modulating device set to 11 to ensure that nobody's TV speakers blow up. The lower level stuff sounds great, but as soon as there's anything with any heft to it the level goes down ridiculously.

Oh well...I'm still enjoying it. Be interesting to hear the new album.

Anyone else tuning in?

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 10
I was so excited to see this, and last night at 9 i sat down at the TV to watch and soon realized i don't get fuse...

I tuned in at Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. and watched a little bit but the quality was just terrible. It almost wasn't worth watching. However I really enjoyed dreaming tree.

Has anyone picked up the new album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King? My vinyl copy showed up on my doorstep today... now i just have to complete my phono preamp so i can give it a listen

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone picked up the new album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King? My vinyl copy showed up on my doorstep today... now i just have to complete my phono preamp so i can give it a listen

I just picked it up today. I've only got a tape deck in my car so the drive home was an anxious one..haha. It's great.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 10
live trax might be a good place to start.

also, I recommend getting/renting their videos (concerts). almost any of them; but my faves are the colorado shows and the 2 dvd set (anamorphic, too) from central park, ny.

the central park show, on dvd2, has the guy from govt mule CRANKING out a super neil young song. impressive.

so, thinking about it - skip the audio stuff and go rent their concert dvd's. best way to 'meet' the band.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 10
I listened to their new album on Rhapsody (still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail), and I like it. It's not like their older stuff, but also (thankfully) not like their newer stuff either. It's different...sort of like their newer stuff but with heavy influences from their older stuff. Best studio album IMHO since Before These Crowded Streets.

I keep hoping that they'll bury the hatchet with Steve Lilywhite. Oh well...

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might not be the right thread to ask this, but my friend recommended me Dave Matthews Band and I just don't know which album to get. There are so many...

To be fully honest, I am not a fan of DMB's studio albums at all. I have given them all a try and I just don't like them very much.

Having said that, they are one of the most amazing LIVE bands ever. I can listen to the same tracks that I didn't care for from the studio on a live album and love every second of it.

If I were you, I would get these couple starting out:
- Live at Luther College
- Live at Red Rocks
- The Gorge

I did pick up the new album though and will be giving it a listen in a little bit here. I heard it is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back